Power Steering Pump

Mark N

Hi Guys

I've tried doing a search but can't seem to find what i want.
After spending all of Saturday changing my water pump because I thought it was that making a horrible noise, i found out it was the steering pump. :x
I've managed to source myself a secondhand one, i've read somewhere you can buy a kit? Has anyone got any info on the pump it self (workshop manual) that they could send me?
Also what sort of a job is it to change, easier are harder then the water pump? Is there any 'How to guides'?
Any info would be great.

Cheers

gtirneil

I had exactly the same thing fella, bit of wd40 later and the noise was cured :lol: :shock: :(

From what ive heard of the guy thats doing mine the throttle bodies need to come off (to get access to it) unless you have really small hands,not a hard job but very fiddly :cry:

Mark N

Tried WD40 and spray grease but it doesn't want to stop. :cry:
Sounds like a job I don't really want to do in the cold.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You don't need to take the throttle bodies off, but if you can take the bent metal pipe off it, it helps. I did mine a couple of years ago now. It came out of and went in through the gap in the drivers wheel arch. It was tricky trying to manouvre it through the gap and into the engine bay, but I managed it. Start the job early incase you find it the pain I found it. A vice would probably help to hold it while undoing the pulley nut.

You can get just about every bit to service it.

It's not realy a hard job, just tricky like I mentioned (into and out of that gap :? )

P

papdog

I can get my pump off without removing anything except the O/S/F wheel. It is bloody awkward but can be done. Just don't expect much skin on your hands when you have finished.

Graham

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
papdog said:
I can get my pump off without removing anything except the O/S/F wheel. It is bloody awkward but can be done. Just don't expect much skin on your hands when you have finished.

Graham
Glad someone else enjoyed doing it as well :lol:

gtirneil

I was only saying im taking the TB's off because i have monster sized hands :cry:

I know you could do it without but theres just not enough room for me.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you can get the pump out of there, surely you can get your hands in :shock: although most of the time I was on my back with my hands over my head somewhere :?

P

papdog

And your eyes full of crap from the dirt falling off the chassis.... :(

Graham