POWER STEERING, lost!

A

Anonymous

hi, my gtir has lost power steering and now i can hardly park the 4wd anywhere, its like driving a truck. i have chekced the fluid levels and the cables but there is no leak. maybe the pump is screwd. can anyone tell me how i can find out if the pump is not pulling.. do i have to pull apart the engine??? :-?

nitrosgti-r

power steering

my power steering is real stiff too. i took it to nissan and its a leaking boot and they quoted me £130 to do it. Check the resivoir for fluid loss :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The pump is bolted onto the back of the engine (so no engine dismantling) and I'm sure your nissan dealer should be able to pressure test it.
If you have no leaks, then it could be the internals of the pump have failed, possibly the rack, but I think that would result in a leak :?: . Nearly all bits on the pump can be ordered separately. :wink:

B

BFMurphy

if there are no leaks or wierd noises it sounds like it is doing the same as mine. i am about to fit a different pump to see if it helps.

ki_saj_ng

i never thought that mine is messed up but now i think about it mine is quite heavy, it never came to me as i thought it just may be like that.

iv definately got p/s, whilst driving its not bad but can feel sometimes that i havent got p/s.

how light should they be normally? as light as any other car with p/s?

cheers

O

one Gti-R

BFMurphy said:
if there are no leaks or wierd noises it sounds like it is doing the same as mine. i am about to fit a different pump to see if it helps.
as mentioned the power sterring pump can be removed without dismanteling the engine.

however if this was the case I would imagine that there would be a leak of some kind if the pump was failing.

from what you have described it sounds like there is a blockage somewhere or a pinch in one of the lines.

the first place I would look is the big nut up in the corner of the enginebay near the firewall.

B

BFMurphy

i just tghought it might be the seals inside the pump not allowing it to build up pressure. but i am going to deffinately check for blockages. i know i dont have a leak. but on a normal car, when you turn the wheel with the engine running then you can see in the resovoir that the is oil movement but my doesn't move.