porting original manifolds

kirko

where can i get info on porting my original exhaust manifold and converting it to external wastegate, i have done loads of mini heads and manifolds just need to know what works best for GTIR's rather than the trial and error method

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Simon Norris sells one pre done I think, so he'll know (maybe) but I doubt he'd give you much info as he'd rather sell one, (at a guess)
I'd just say try the usual, clean up any casting marks and match it to the gasket lines. :wink:

K

krikra

Im going to do the same when I fit my new turbo.. Was going to post the same question.
Isnt NAD using a ported standard mani? Could just be one from Norris..

ashills

standard manifold will keep flowing upto the 500s if u really push it but after 420 ish they say its best to get it ported

O

Odin

I did mine myself wasn't to hard a job really :wink: .

Just get yourself a dremmel :lol:

rob

Nad

Gave up waiting to have mine done so doing it myself now. Not sure what I am doing about the wastegate at the moment, ie position.

Nad

K

kizzyturbo4x4

im starting build of my new engine and im getting the haed ported up,
so if i just port up the standard manifold to match how much power is it good for? :)
must be better than other afm ones, that break after a feew weeks anyway.... :x

kirko

is there an optimum place for the external wastegate take off?
im aiming for about 380 /400 bhp so do i need external wastegate?
hmmmm...... decisions :?

GINGA

think most are taken off the hump in the middle/top of the manifold.
You'll get that power easily with a internally gated turbo no probs at all wouldn't bother with the external gate tbh unless your looking for serious boost/power with a big turbo, unless you just want tit for the noise :wink:

Mr GTiR

kirko said:
is there an optimum place for the external wastegate take off?
im aiming for about 380 /400 bhp so do i need external wastegate?
hmmmm...... decisions :?
Im aiming for that sort of power and have an internal wastegated tubby. All i've had done on mine is to open up the ports a little to match the gasket.

j10gtr

I had a standard turbo manifold milled for a pipe to fit an external wastgate on for surry. He then had a right angle pipe welded to the standard manifold and a flange for an external waste gate on the other end.

It worked Fine

Car mad very good power ( neerly 400 at the hubs) but unfortunately it wasnt mapped right

I have also ported my own manifold but its a bit difficult to get all the way through the runners.

Thanks
Paul

K

krikra

"A bit difficult" :shock:

Its impossible! at least with a dremmel like Im using.. Even with a "flex arm"(?) its really only the opening that can be done :cry:

Paul R

Thats what they have on the standard scooby (non-wrx) isn't it? Not roller bearing though. I'm guessing the rest isn't standard either?

Nad

j10gtr said:
I had a standard turbo manifold milled for a pipe to fit an external wastgate on for surry. He then had a right angle pipe welded to the standard manifold and a flange for an external waste gate on the other end.

It worked Fine

Car mad very good power ( neerly 400 at the hubs) but unfortunately it wasnt mapped right

I have also ported my own manifold but its a bit difficult to get all the way through the runners.

Thanks
Paul
What sort of welding was used??