Pistons - HKS Vs JE or other??

Fazz

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase some new pistons/rings etc, and the HKS's are noticeably more expensive than JE or similar.

Yes I am going to the cheapest supplier - E.G Greenline and Top-End Performance etc.

JE Pistons come in at about $600 , add shipping etc = €600 to me in Ireland approx

HKS at about €900 to me in Ireland approx

So, is there a notable difference in strength??

I've done my searches, and do remember something about the JE's having the taxi noise when cold, is there anything else to note about these?

I've also been told that if going for pistons, then the standard nissan's or HKS are the only ones recommended, but this may just be an opinion...

As for power - I'm thinking of staying around the 350 mark, but may up to 400 depending on gearbox etc etc...

Any opinions/advice?? I will prob need oversized so standard ruled out anyway.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
you don't need forged pistons for 350bhp...

HKS pistons have a dry coating on them as standard making them more friction free... They also make GTiR specific ones so you don't need to machine a notch for the oil squirters...

The JE are also excellent quality... Some pistons are noisier than others when cold... its down to clearances and the materials they are made from... Some pistons expand more than others depending on material and this will change the sound...

Do with the cheaper JE pistons... Also look into the CP and WISCO ones... You should be able to get them to your door for about £300

Rishi

Fazz

Standards no good as I said i need overbored ones - had Wiseco in there before something went wrong,.. still waiting on full report but will need new oversized ones anyway as one ended up in sump!

I may look at the wiseco again once i know why they failed and see then, but they are still ST£500 so €750/800 to my door so not much in it...

Haven't heard of CP but will try now...

O

Odin

Rishi is useing CP piston's in his car which will be mapped to 2.4 bar next weekend so they should be up to the job, I'm also planning on using them as well when I rebuild mine. I did have a set of 87mm CP's kicking about in the gargae but I gave them to a mate to use in his motor.

Rob

G

GTI-R Kid

I got JE's waiting to go in ours. Came from Top-End and while their communications ain't the best they're very fast. From getting a quote to the pistons on my doorstep was something 2 1/2 weeks.