Photo of Idle valve connector

M

Mr Gee

Hi guys -

My first post - Just bought myself a nice modified R and I seem to have an idle problem (along with everyone else).
I was gong to attmpt the suggestion below, but I am unable to identify the Idle Valve Connector harness, due to the fact that components have been moved around a bit in my engine bay. I do have a diagram but cannot make heads or tails of it.
Can anyone post a real picture, with an arrow pointing to the correct harness. - many thanks -

Mr Gee

=============================================
You can adjust the idle in the following way.

Run the engine up to operating temp.
Switch the engine off
Disconect the idle valve connector
Start the engine and ajust the idle screw in the valve (you can only do 1/4 of a turn at a time) to desired engine speed.
Switch off engine and reconnect the conector.
Start engine should now be ok?

That's what i do and it all ways works.
Most of the nissan engine idle systems work in the same way.

===============================================

:wink:

K

kerry

surely you shouldnt adjust the idle though if you dont know what its altered in the first place :?

M

Mr Gee

True - I hear what your saying ................. but its idling at 1500 !!

With a full Mongoose and decat....I am not exactly neighbour of week, if you know what I mean.

G

J

jasegould

IIRC you don't disconnect the ICV, you disconnect the TPS (throttle position sensor) whilst adjusting the idle screw (which IIRC the TPS is on the end of the throttle bodies on the NS)

Maybe someone will confirm this
Jay

A

AJ4

Its the idle control valve to set the idle, the TPS removing is for setting the timing.

There is a picture in one of the recent messages that shows exactly where it is...

topcat

To adjust the idle speed u disconnect the T.P.S switch...

Also make sure that all electrics are swithed off.. i.e. Heaer fan, Heated rear screen, air con,Lights etc.. and wheels are in forward position.

but if yr idle is so high you probly have a problem somewhere..maybe air leak or such.

hope that helps..

A

AJ4

The ICV controls the idle speed, all the TPS does is tell the ecu when its idling ( so it can adjust the ICV ). The ICV works on a few other things than just idle speed, so disconnecting just the TPS won't stop the ICV from working.

Hedge your bets and disconnect both :D:D

A

AJ4

lol, trust me, I've owned a Pulsar for four years and I can read circuit diagrams ;)

Only joking bud, your probably right 8)

Ross.

A

AJ4

Obviously not, I only read that link you posted that doesn't actually tell you how to adjust the idle....:roll: Maybe Nissan have some Consult mode or something for doing it, but most of us tend not to have nissan diagnostic tools cluttering up the garage. Its pretty academic anyway, and to quote myself again -
Only joking bud, your probably right Cool
;)