Pedal Box Fu*k up!

R

riske

Hi have recently been having problems with my clutch system.

First it sometimes wouldnt go into gear. Sometimes the pedal would also stay to the floor! This is obviously a problem while driving. Over the last week people have diagnosed it for me being the slave. I replaced the slave with a brand new one. i also put on a braided clutch hose...still had the problem:doh:
Yesterday I then replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one. Spent all day doing it as the plenum is a bitch of a job with all those bottom tx40's! I'm sure most of you know.

Anyway i still had the problem only slightly less frequently.

Last night on the way home it happened.... the F*****G! pedal box snapped, clean off. No gears could be selected! I managed to wedge summin up in the frame to keep it a bit more stable which enabled me to half release the clutch but still couldnt get it in gear. I had to jump it in 1st and eventually managed to get it into 4th after some revving, crunching and timed gear changes.

Need to know how big a job this is to get a new (reinforced) box in. Like what is needed to take off... bet your gonna say whole dash!:doh:

Help and advice is greatly appreciated dudes!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
PM StevePudney. He will sell you a pedal box bracket so strengthen the pedal box. its a well known issue when using heavier clutches..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Last night on the way home it happened.... the F*****G! pedal box snapped, clean off. No gears could be selected!
You don't need the clutch to change gear, just careful changing and making sure you don't have to come to a stop:lol:

Braveheart

Info from this thread may help. Comment # 27

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50400&highlight=weld+bracket&page=3

Thought i better update this thread. The problem was with the clutch bracket that attatches to the bulk head, 3 of the 4 spot welds had broken away, so the bracket was flexing hence getting less clutch travel.
We managed to access the spot welds by removing the wipers and the plastic panel that sits below the windscreen. So we didnt have to remove the dash. Got a pretty decent weld from there, but may still strengthen it from the insde if i ever have the dash out for any reason.
Dont know how this ties in with the gear selction getting worse when hot, maybe after driving for a long time or sitting in traffic the bracket was flexing even more, getting even less clutch travel.
Anyway cheers for everyones input :thumbsup:
Oh and if anyone trys this remember and have someone on fire watch inside the car lying in the footwell, with the garden hose on standby :lol:

O

Odin

You must be the only person in the known universe that hasn't bought and fitted a pudney bracket :shock::doh:, He's sold about a million of them over the last few years :yawn: :lol::lol::lol:.

Rob

gtir_pimp

i have the pudney bracket but my pedal still creaks a little and you can feel it click very slightly but its done this from day 1. my pedal box wont break will it?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You must be the only person in the known universe that hasn't bought and fitted a pudney bracket :shock::doh:, He's sold about a million of them over the last few years :yawn: :lol::lol::lol:.

Rob
Not quite a million :der:;-) but back in march I counted over 2200 in 4 years and sold quite a few since then :-D.

Anyway Riske no one really answered your question have they.

Basically it sounds to me like your whole pedal box has come away from the bulkhead. The good news is that it can be repaired but it's a fiddly job as it needs to be welded back into position, that in itself isn’t to bad but to make a good job of it you do really need to remove the dash (which is easier than you think) and the carpet in that area. Basically things need to be removed from the area mainly to allow access but also to stop anything meltable/flammable catching fire from the welding.
The pedal box assembly can then be welded back into position and then re enforce the pedal box with the clutch pedal support bracket.

Steve

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
i have the pudney bracket but my pedal still creaks a little and you can feel it click very slightly but its done this from day 1. my pedal box wont break will it?
You want to make sure the bracket is done up nice and tight.

The pedal can creak and click for 2 reasons, basically the whole assembly is at least 15 years old these days and it's all quite worn. The clutch pedal itself pivots on a steel spindle and in between the spindle and the pedal is a pair of nylon top hat bushes, over time the pedal wears 2 groves in the nylon bushes, when the pedal isn't being used the pedal sits outside the worn groves but when you depress the pedal the click you feel and hear is the pedal dropping into the channel, the squeak you hear is possibly because the pedal has worn through the nylon bushes and the squeak is metal to metal, the click/squeak is very annoying but your pedal assembly wont drop off as long as the support bracket is in place and done up tight.

The click/squeak can be got rid of by stripping/removing the whole clutch pedal, you will then see the nylon bushes are only worn on one side so you can then either turn the nylon bushes 180 degrees and assemble with white grease or get new bushes from Nissan and reassemble with white grease.

Alternatively just bodge it and shoot a load of WD40 up to the pivot point of the pedal (remembering to degrease the pedal afterwards before you drive it)

R

riske

i already had a bracket from steve which i fitted about a month ago...to be honest my problems have been from then on... Not saying his bracket has done anything its just the fact its 18years old and finally given way. His bracket is still inplace just the whole section to left (ecu) side of the pedal has snapped from the rest. I know you dont have to use a clutch to change gear hence the reason i managed to get home
managed to get it into 4th after some revving, crunching and timed gear changes.
Anyway im gettin a new pedal bracket and fitting it once it arrives. Cheers for the help. It very hard to tell its actually split because is black coloured metal. At least i have the peace of mind that i wont be messin about with the clutch system for a very long time as it'll all be new.