Oil/Water Temps?

Matt Evans

Hi all. Just a few questions regarding the above.

First of all, how long should it take for my engine temp too rise? It never goes past the twelve o'clock mark, but lately it seems too get there in literally a couple of minutes.

Secondly, my oil temp seems to get slightly higher than it used to. It seems to hover around the 90-100 mark, but it used to be a little lower at about 80ish.

Any feedback would be great.

Ps. I haven't posted this on the Problems page because as of yet they aren't really a problem.

Moved to Regular maintenance as it's more technical than general

geetee

it's spring.

ambient temperatures are higher.

my oil temps are about 10 deg higher than a couple of weeks ago now except when cruising (slowly) on the motorway

don't know about the water temp, the needles been stuck at about 1/3rd for as long as I can remember,

wouln't worry about it.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jiw

my water is up to temp in about 2 minutes max, oil tends to take about 7, i dont think you have a problem mate, when was your last oil change as when oil deteriorates you tend to see it get a little higher than normal, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My water temp has never gone past 12 o clock in 3 years. My oil temp only starts going up if I thrash it abit.

Matt Evans

Thanks for the replies guys! :D It is due for an oil change, but apart from that, the engine temp just seems to reach its point a lot quicker than it has before, and I've owned the car for 3 years now. It seems it bit weird that the engine temp and the oil temp both started to act differently at the same time.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on em .

Thanks.

Matt Evans

O.k. guys, I've been watching my temps very closely since my last post, and I've noticed that my oil temp is slowly begining to creep up even higher (only a tiny bit though). I know the ambient temp is higher due to the weather, but (a) my oil temp still goes higher at night when its quite cold outside, and (b) As I mentioned before, I've had the car for three years now and its never done this before. I don't think its down to the oil degrading either as I only changed it back last year.

I'm starting to get slightly worried now, as this seems really out of character for my car. :( Has anyone got any other ideas of what it could be, E.g. an air lock or something?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you haven't done it yet, do an oil change. It cured my oil pressure problem (for now) so it might just be the old oil playing up :?

MarkTurbo

Matt Evans said:
I'm starting to get slightly worried now, as this seems really out of character for my car. :( Has anyone got any other ideas of what it could be, E.g. an air lock or something?
When you say its creeping up how hot is it actually getting :?:

Matt Evans

The needle gets to the 12 o'clock mark and just sits there. Do you think that a partially blocked rad could cause this?

Matt Evans

This is basically what is happening.

The water temp rises a lot quicker than it ever has before, but it stops at about half way up the gauge (12 o'clock) and doesn't budge, which is where it normally stops. In the mean time, the oil temp rises at the same kinda speed as it always has but it carries on past where it used to stop until it reaches the 12 o'clock mark which it hasn't done before up until the last week or so.

geetee

Maybe ur thermostat is sticking shut so the coolant isn't being circulated thru the entire cooling system? So more heat is being absorbed by the oil?

Do the rad fans come on if you leave it idling after a run?

Does your rad get properly hot? (watch ur fingers in those fans :? )

Cheers
GeeTee

Matt Evans

O.k. the Thermostat was brand new about a month ago, but I haven't checked to see how hot the rad is. I'm pretty sure the fans are coming on because I could hear them when I stopped on the side of the road the other night, to allow my drunk girlfriend to be sick :x She knows she's not allowed to make a mess in the car :lol:

geetee

What thermostat did you fit? OE Nissan or uprated? Tried the old one or was it buggered?

I think the temp sender for the fans is in the circulation for the shorter loop so even if the stat was staying closed the fans would come on and blow on ur cold radiator :lol:

Think it's only a process of elimination.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Matt Evans

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've now put my old Thermostat back on and everything is back to normal again. :D But now I'm wondering if my engine temp should take a while to rise or whether its supposed to rise within a minute or 2? And I also found out why my oil temp was climbing, I've noticed small drips of water coming from under the engine!!! :shock: I think my water pump is on its way :( So its looks like a trip to Nissan for me on the weekend :x

Oh well, thats just the joy of 'R' ownership I guess 8)

Matt Evans

A new Water pump and a new thermpstat (from Nissan :!: , not a cheap thermostat like my local car spares gave me :? ) and everything is as it should be. :D

A

AJ4

Matt Evans said:
In the mean time, the oil temp rises at the same kinda speed as it always has but it carries on past where it used to stop until it reaches the 12 o'clock mark which it hasn't done before up until the last week or so.
Maybe I'm miss reading that, but isn't 12.00 on the oil temp guage about 130 - 140 degrees ? :shock: :shock:

Matt Evans

I don't think so, I think its about 110. If 70 is the lowest reading and 150 is the highest, then in the middle should be about 100-110.