Oil / water temp climbing under pressure

T

Tart

OK Guys, new one.

Car drives fine normally, no problems at all.
When I boost it every now and again it is still fine. However if I keep boosting it lots the oil temp starts to climb. When it hits 110 degrees the water temp starts to climb and the car goes to safe mode. If I ease off for a while or shut her down for a few mins everything goes back to normal.

The coolant is fine and not moving but im a little baffled. I thought of either head or water in the oil... does that sound right???

Im gonna change the oil nxt wkend and see what that does, any other ideas??? The only thing is I have no power problems when all is ok, it is still picking up fine and there is no mayo on the oil cap which made me think that the head was fine.... any suggestions????

MarkTurbo

How long were you driving it hard for :?:

If i gave mine any abuse for longish periods the oil temp used to regulary climb to 110 ish, but my water temp has never gone past 1/2 way on the gauge even on track days :?

I've got an oil cooler now, so dont need to worry about the oil temp rising anymore 8)

T

Tart

This is different....... If shes warmed up then I boot it from 2nd right to the limit and then 3rd to the limiter and then 4th. Just that amount of booting it will cause it which is what is puzzling me....... ?????

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What condition is your radiator in and do the fans kick in as required?

I have a little oil in my water :oops: and don't have any temp problems

If you're thrashing it for a long time and everything is standard then temps will rise, but as long as they don't go too high you should be OK.
I guess it's possible you might have a slight airlock in your cooling system somewhere, or even a low oil level.
Possibly your water pump is on the way out?

T

Tart

thanks for the advice. the rad seems fine and the fans do run... A LOT!!!
Im gonna do an oil change to check that first and see. hope its something easy and cheap.... (although it rarely is with these)!!!!

T

Tart

would that cause it to be fine for normal driving though, it will only climb to cause a lot of probs under pressure. If it was the pump I would have thought it would cause more of a problem when stuck in traffic???

D

DICKY

Could be the rads partialy blocked,ok under normal conditions but cant flow the water when engine working harder! Flush the rad out see how much c**p comes out,top up coolant system,make sure theres no air locks.then road test time! :)

T

Tart

thanx for the advice guys. this wk im gonna change the oil. drain and flush the rad, check the belts, and then take her up the A1 :D