Oil Thermostat cooling.

Braveheart

I'm re-designing my oil cooling circuit as I want to fit remote filter head and gain oil temp port and plan to fit the following:

Mocal sandwich plate with cover plate to mocal remote filter head (with oil temp port) to front mounted 16 row oil cooler.
I will had to do away with the thermostatic sandwich plate and I'm wondering if I should fit an oil thermostat which will bypass the oil cooler until the oil temp gets up to 80 deg.

This may be a bit fussy as the car will be used on track only and I'm also a bit conserned that I will be putting extra strain on the oil pump by installing this: Anybody using this setup?

stumo

thermostst sandwich plate with top plate, easy piping and you can get a larger filter on there.....

Braveheart

thermostst sandwich plate with top plate, easy piping and you can get a larger filter on there.....
Thanks for the picture....:thumbsup:
That looks the bizz.... unfortunatly, I did not know such a fitting existed for the GTiR when I concocted my setup. :doh:
Oh well... I'm not changing it now... just ordered all the parts.

GTIR-LOZ

my mocal 16 row hardly ever goes over 70 degrees and thats got the thermo bit in the plate if it didnt god knows how long it would take to warm up, i have not tried it in hot weather yet, as we never have any!! just normal temps

boost

are these kits available from mocal? including the thermostat and all associated pipework needed. and was it 1/2" pipe?

thanks

boost

fab installation, did you order most of the parts needed from thinkautomotive?

what was the take of plaate as i could see nissan listed?

cheers mate and keep up the good work, looks real nice

stumo

Everything came from Think, you need a thermostst sandwich plate, a top cap and all the pipework etc.

I had a threaded tube made (see pic, don't know if Think do these) to fit where the old oil cooler fitted so the top cap could screw onto something because the oil coller is held on by a bolt....

boost

stumo nice one. yeah i had this setup on my 5gtt but with out the oil pressure sender sensor on top or is that a seperate temperature sensor.

looks real good.and would work well. are them stats rated i.e. opens at desired temp. would the stat needed open say 70 degrees?

Braveheart

70 is quite cool but safe.
My oil temps would rise above 100 deg C when out on track... even in winter months. I would have to take it easy for a lap mid session to bring it down. I also replace my oil after a track day just incase it had sheered.
Also, the OE rad overflow would dump it's load under these conditions.
The koyo rad really helped... keeping both water and oil temps down a bit with no loss of coolant from overflow bottle.
Car's still in bits. Have not tracked it with koyo and second oil cooler fitted. I do hope the oil reaches 80.
Will have manual oil and water gauges to monitor.
If it runs too cool, I can always blank off (cover) some of the oil cooler and rad if needbe.

stumo

the sensor in the top cap is for temp, you can see an oil press sender and a higher oil light switch where the original oil press sensor fitted.

boost

ohh ok great.

stumo..i take it that you just got a off the shelf a sandwhich plate or was it for any type of car as nissan isnt listed.

and that long threaded bolt is just an extension really so that you can get the top part of the cooler on.

cheers guys. great install through the front panel to.. it makes it a permant fixing rather than pipes blowing around.. if you like

stumo

the sandwich plate is for the GTiR, you need to ask for a top cap at the same time.

When you remove the oil cooler, there is a threaded hole in the housing, you need the threaded tube so that the top cap is able to screw onto something (remember it usually goes onto where the oil filter usually fits, but not in this case....)

stumo

The best thing anyone can go is to ring up Think and get a catalogue (even if you have to pay for it) as you will work out what you need far quicker than looking on their web site....