Oil pressure.....

A

Anonymous

guys just a check really and am sure it is fine...
car has 55k on it, std engine so no rebuild...

when cold I get about pressure up to 6k.
when warm/hot I get a 2 driving round town, then 4-4.5 when on the motorway about 80-90.

sounds about right.
also found out she has not been de restrcited and would not go past......

nice touch as at least she has only been ragged in 4 gears! :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

Depends on the oil, 2 is lowish, but consistent with a thinner oil. On Castrol RS 10W-60 mine never really goes below 3, but it was definitely lower than that on Magnatec 10W-40. If it goes below 1, then start worrying...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Engine running with no load

Oil pressure should be
At idle more than .98bar
At 3200 3.43-4.41bar

A

Anonymous

cheers guys
fast guy that sounds right and she does not go below 2 when on low revs and is in that range when pulling up.

I think the last guy put some 5w40 in so it might need some castrol RS which I just bought today at 10w 60.

I meant to say 2 on idle so I guess that is fine.

J

jaigtir

i had a low oil pressure, then, sometimes it was ok, then, sometimes it wasnt, thought maybe a dodgy gauge, obviously, not, as we n=know what happened next, lol

celm

so u are saying if u put light weight oil the pressure is low.if u put heavy weight oil the pressure is higher?
is 10w30 oil good to put in?

J

J-GTi-R

10W-30 is lacking the high temperature protection and will thin out when the car is really hot. There's some discusion going round that 10W-60 isn't a good idea as it needs loads of additives to have such a wide temp range, but if the pressure is high and oil temps low even stitting at 120 on the motorway for long periods, it has to be a good thing, additives or not.

A

Anonymous

agreed
go for a 10w 60 if you can as it gives the support you need across the raneg and 10 is good for the cold start up.

I guess it depends on how often you change the oil to depend ont he quality.
as long as it is a good brand, anytihgn around 10w40 or higher then you will be fine.

Mobil 1 is shite for these cars, as is anything like a 5w30 or 0w40.

you pays yr way I guess.
Castrol Magntec is good for 300o mile intervals as have done this before.

A

Anonymous

i had low oil pressure
and my engine went bang :(

I Know the gauge didn't work right :evil:

J

J-GTi-R

anytihgn around 10w40 or higher then you will be fine.
Actually I discovered on the week-end that that isn't always true. I did an oil change on a mate's car and he supplied some Vauxhall branded 10w-40. After sticking that in and going for a drive, he rang back immediately because the oil temp had shot up to 110-120 degrees even though he'd not been ragging it much.

Like everyhting else Vauxhall, the oil was obviously crap, despite being 10W-40, so from that I'd say make sure it's good quality as well as the right range.

A

Anonymous

grant, nothing to do with how you drove it mate?? ;-)

a good oil is key I think and as long as it is change regularly and a good resistance then all should be well.

I have a feeling the last oil put in was a bit thin.

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,i'm running Millers 10/60 and my oil pressure is around 60-65 when cold and when about 90 deg temp about 18-19(about a needle width below the 2) :?

J

J-GTi-R

celm said:
how about non synthetic 20w50 oil?
Look, just NO, ok!! (lol... :wink:)

Non synthetic (i.e. mineral oil) is just not good enough. The service manual specifies semi-synthetic, but that really is only becuse fully synthetic was pretty expensive 14 years ago. For peace of mine, only fully synthetic 10W-40 minimum.

celm

i put in 5W40 castrol full synthetic oil in.and my oil pressure problem,and noisy start up valve train problem went away.she was purrring like a kitten.could non-synthetic oil be the problem the whole time?

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,glad u mentioned noisey valvetrain,my 'R's valvetrain has been noisey since the last oil change.The guy who owned it before me used 5/30 fully synthetic and it was as quiet as a mouse with slippers on :!: I,m now using MILLERS 10/60 and it sounds like the mouse has swapped his slippers for tap dancing shoes :!: Should i go back to 5/30 or just put a good quality engine flush in and stick with the 10/60 :?: :?:

J

J-GTi-R

I noticed my car is quite a bit more quiet with Castrol RS 10W-60, compared to the Millers CFS 10W-60. You might want to try that nest time (the Millers won't harm your engine in the meantime).