Oil Pressure Switch or Sensor?

izmo

Hi guys

Whats the difference between the oil pressure switch, sender & sensor

can someone clear the confusion pleez, my oil pressure light goes on & off at low revs?

P

pulsarboby

that could be the oil pressure sender switch (big one of the two) faulty!
or you may have low oil pressure which is not good at all, whats the oil pressure on the gauge read at idle when hot?

the other smaller sender switch is for the oil temperature reading!

izmo

well this is what it is, its always used to stay at 4 bar no matter what, then suddenly the other day i boosted the car for ages, parked up let it turn off after a minute & then i started the car after 5 min & the pressure had dropped down to 2 bar & it still is the same. the oil pressure warning light seems to go on & off on & off from 0-1500 revs soemtimes. Its just really strange, on a cold start the pressure will rise to 4 bar, as how it should b, but if i turn the car on & off it will drop down to 2. mind you the cars due service its been around 4k could it b because ofhte oil velocity? i'm using Castrol GTX Magnetic 10 40

P

pulsarboby

possibly, but it does sound as though its a pressure sensor fault.
2 bar of oil pressure at idle isnt too bad when hot, the main thing is that it rises when engine speed increases, if it doesnt then thats not good at all!

try another known good sensor, before you go any further, and change the engine oil.

if you want a known good sensor, i have some s/h ones for sale there £15 incl of delivery
but try the oil first;-)

izmo

kool i'll do that. but u know a none standard sensor, would it work together with the pressure warning light? i've heard a few people saying that other ones won't work with it?so meaning the warning light won't work at all

geoff pine

izmo said:
kool i'll do that. but u know a none standard sensor, would it work together with the pressure warning light? i've heard a few people saying that other ones won't work with it?so meaning the warning light won't work at all
If you want the warning light you have to use the nissan sender as after market ones dont have the warning light. I was told this by mike at mjp eastern autos he doe's sell a T piece if you want to fit an after market one as well give him a ring on (01277374201).

izmo

Cheers mate, im just gna service the car then if the problem still persists i'll give mjp a call, BTW how often am i to change the rear diff & transfer box oil? can someone gimme a variety of what i can use for a complete service

P

pulsarboby

the standarsd oe oil pressure sensor is what i have, which is what you will have fitted to your car, this also controls the oil warning light!

engine oil you ideally want 10w/50 fully synthetic silkolene or similar

as for diff and transfer box i used a semi synthetic gear oil ep75/90 as i dont think its worth paying out upto £100 for gear oil like millers etc, when the boxes are crap anyway.
but thats my own personal opinion, think i used a motoquip semi synthetic which cost about £15 for 5 ltr and ive not had a problem with it!