oil pressure problem

P

purplemonster

i have an oil pressure problem i think ,

how easy dose the oil pump come off the engine? will the chain have to be moved at all ?
dose any body know the tolerances for the pump internals?
maybe a price etc?
where is the oil pressure relief valve situated?

the oil light dose not come on at all,but my oil presure seems to be normal,but sometimes at lights etc it dose drop aslong as 1 bar but rises when revved?

Robert

ex-gtir

you can remove and replace the oil pump in situ nissan state that the head needs removeing but it doesnt the oil pump runs on a oval shaped space on the crank on the outside of the cam chain
takes about 2.5 hours worth replaceing the main oil seal at th same time
worth checking it not the gauge sender as they do play up the pumps are about £80 of the top of my head but i might be wrong
the relief valves are in the houseing and arnt adjustable
mike
hope this helps

P

purplemonster

thanks alot

thats the kind of answer i was looking for,it looked like the oil pump can be changed in place ,and at £80 i think ill just change it anyway,and check the gauges afterwards :)

thanks again
ROBERT

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
purplemonster said:
the oil light dose not come on at all,but my oil presure seems to be normal,but sometimes at lights etc it dose drop aslong as 1 bar but rises when revved?

Robert
Does the light come on with the ignition on and engine off? If not, then I'd say your bulb has blown.
Oil pressure should be more than .98bar at idle or 3.43-4.41bar at 3200

If your pressure is dropping to 1bar at idle (at the lights) that is normal. As long as you're in the figures above you should be ok.

P

purplemonster

well i changed my oil pressure gauge and sender 2day to an aftermarket digital gauge that i mounted inside the origninal housing and looks swaome .
anyway when cold on start up im getting 65psi on the new gauges
and drops to 17psi when very hot on idle,and rises tp approx 40psi at 2750rpm
ill be doing an oil change tomorow and buying some decent oil and see if that makes a differnce?

and i priced up a pump and they are £380 ,not sure if that was incl vat

and a bit of extra info .a brand new box is £1400, the hutchings nissan dealership in the rhonnda valleys are very very helpfull ,the cardiff nissan branch just didnt want to know as it was an inport ?

ROBERT

GTIR-LOZ

thats a little different to 80 quid :shock: i ahate it when nissan dealers do that, there is no differnce between the sunny and the pulsar, and even if it was they could still find out if they needed too, its just they cannot be bothered

P

purplemonster

well i now know where to get all my spares from :)

hutchings said they would ring back in 5 minutes and thought i was fobbed off ,but 5 mins to the secons and they rang, the best nissan service i have had so far

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
purplemonster said:
17psi when very hot on idle,and rises tp approx 40psi at 2750rpm

ROBERT
17psi is fine.
2750 rpm is abit low, you need to check it at 3200rpm to see how it compares to the book figure. :wink:

P

purplemonster

hi
right the best oil i could buy spur of the moment rather than ordering it was
mobil 1 motorsport oil 10/50

and no my oil pressure is now 77psi when cold ,and as it warms up drops to a minimum at idle of 25psi ( rather than previuos 15psi)

and at 3250 its now 65psi when hot rather than 40psi

so changing to better grade of oil has made a huge difference

ill be doing a rebuild in the near future just for piece of mind,just bearings and rings etc ,and checking tolerance etc ,and ill compare my oil pressure again ,just to see what differnce that has made .

i have also fitted a digital oil pressure gauge within the original cluster and is very accurate and fast responding ,to enable me to monitor my oil pressure further

ROBERT

geetee

purplemonster>>> do you have any pics of that digital oil pressure gauge? and where did u get it from?

My stock dial has packed up anyway (not sure if it's the sender or the guage yet) - so might need to replace it.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)