Oil in Exhaust

PulsarLee

Hi guys,

Nightmare!!:cry:

went for a run today to Cadwell only took it really slow as my R aint been running well lately, showing 34. and some smoke on overun and gearchange........ but got there ok and averaged 30 mpg! on my way back, the car started to backfire on gear change and felt flatter than ever....... smoke too! I put it down to the turbo finally giving up.:cry: I managed to lime it home and oil temp and pressure were ok. When I got home,looked in the exhaust and it was wet through with black oil. really wet :cry:

Please could anyone give me your thoughts. if the turbo seals have totally shot it would this cause oil to flow through the induction into the cylinders etc??

Im absolutly gutted, as Ive not managed to drive the car properly yet!.... and it a lovely nr standard L reg. think someones been running too high boost previously tbh.

Any thoughts appreciated...............

Lee

red reading

if the turbo has failed you will end up with oil in the exhaust and inlet,how much depend's on how bad the turbo fails

PulsarLee

Thanks Red,

that sounds like better news than i was expecting...... as iwas planning on getting the turbo recon'd or replacing it. A few months ago the turbo used to make that lovely high pitched whistle and great induction noise followed by a nice noise from the recirculating DV. a couple of months ago, it stopped the whistle and didnt sound as nice through the DV, checked the intercooler and was wet with oil inside. but still boosted to my setting of 0.8 bar and seemed to hold boost. now it still boosts but feels lazy and slow as anything..... backfires too on every gear change..........

so if the turbo seals are shot ya reccon this may account for the black petroly oil in the exhaust? I only did an oil change last month so think the oil in the exhaust is mixing with petrol and partially burning......... i hope anyway.

Anyone got a good condition tubby 4 sale??

thanks

Lee

PulsarLee

Thanks Red,

Just took my tmic off and took the plugs out....... found that ive used 3 ltrs of oil and 1 ltr of water in 80 miles.:cry: plugs 4,3& 2 were a good colour, number cylinder 1 was absolutly full of oil...........

no sign of emulsion in filler cap... do you get that with fully synthetic oil?

couple of friends says it sounds like its dropped a ring? now im stuck,, is it a ring or the head gasket?

any ideas?

Thanks
Lee

P

pulsarboby

compression test it lee.
if its cracked a ringland which is quite common then youll need to remove the head and the complete sump to pop the piston out the top to inspect it
another sign that its a cylinder related problem is if you unbolt the manifold from the head and see that the exhaust port on the head is all wet with oil on that cylinder then you know theres a prob.
providing the cylinder bore is not too marked or ovalled you may get away with fitting a replacement piston which will be relatively cheap

PulsarLee

Thanks Bob,

im off to buy a comp tester now, only worried that i dony really want to start the car to warm it.... can i do the comp test cold? Also, do you think its likely to be the piston or the rings?
I guess ill have to do the head gasket anyway seeing as the head it to come off but i half thought it would be the head due to it using the water and the oil - although the temps were fine all the way back from cadwell:?.
Will it be ok to just replace 1 piston and im guessing it will need to be a standard - can you buy them seperate?
Sorry about all the questions Bob... only im sooo fed up atm.. guess ill not be the last though.

Are you aware of a 'how to' covering this problem.

Cheers

Lee

P

pulsarboby

just run her for five minutes then turn it off and do comp test straight away and let us know what the readings are;-)

i wouldnt worry too much at this stage untill youve got that reading, il stick my neck out and personally believe its your tubby thats goosed.

if its a piston then providing the cylinder is ok we can flog you a good piston for next to nothing....if its the turbo then i do have one in stock but wait and see what happens as its a waste of time buying stuff till you know whats what

PulsarLee

Okies bob, will do.

for comp test, all plugs out, warm engine, accellerator to floor, how long do i need to crank it over for?

Surely if it is the tubby, why would I have 3 good colour plugs and only number 1 absolutly full of oil?

Hopefully ill post the results tomorrow. not sure if i want to know the result tbh.:sad:

Thanks,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

because the one thats coated in oil seems like the 0ring seal to rockercover has failed so that plugwell will fill with oil.
thats a 50p fix lol

PulsarLee

Cheers Bob...I sooo hope yr right.

but if it is the tubby, would this also use the water and the oil??

i know im only specualting / panicking tbh

compression test tomorrow then.......... was my assumption on how to do this correct??

Cheers,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

yep because dont forget the turbo is oil and water fed
and yes your pretty much right with the test, when you crank it over just count to ten on each cylinder and it will be at max compression

PulsarLee

Hiya guys,

Not looking good...:sad:.. Did the compression test tonight. Warmed the car up for 10 mins on idle, found that it smoked through the oil filler and dip stick if removed and there seemed to be allot of pressure in the rocker cover........ all of the breathers were wet with oil residue on the clips....

even worse........ the bottom hose didnt seem to get warm despite the top being hot and showing normal temp..:?.

The car dosent make any knocking or tapping noise from top or bottom and still runs relatively smooth, despits not being good on 1 cylinder which is full of oil.

Compression results are;

number1- (longest lead) 158 psi
number2- 158
number3- 162
number4- 40!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

Any ideas now Bob / anyone....................

now that the car has cooled down, it appears to have used a ltr of coolant and 1 ltr of oil getting back from cadwell.

fed up is not the word..... but all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

yep as danny said.....not good news
youve got a severe problem on no4 cylinder, when you remove the turbo/ex manifold that port on head is likely to be very wet with oil

remove the head and drop the sump, it may well be a cracked ringland or detted piston, if the cylinders ok you may get away with honing it and fitting another stock piston which aint gonna break the bank

PulsarLee

okies, cheers guys.

do you have a link for where i can get a head set from.

Also, is there a step by step how to guide been posted before?

thanks..

Lee

PulsarLee

Guys,

Apart from a step by step guide which would be ideal.. Where would you recommend i start:? im no mechanic but have done a few jobs on previous cars (golfs 205's etc ). I guess this is going to be a real journey / learning experience, but I do have an eye for detail. I guess Rad and all auxiliries is a good starting point followed by ex manifold with turbo intact, then rocker n head n sump then piston out?

Oh well best keep posative........ imagine what it will be like with 160 compression on all 4 when done.

1 more question, what size gasket / head set / where from?

Expect many more questions :)

Cheers,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

youve pretty much answered your own question lee with how to remove the head.
it will all become self explanitary as you go and if you get stuck with anything then let us know

you really only need a headgasket which you can buy from nissan for under 30
if you need any other gaskets then ive probably got everything you need