Oil Filter / Sandwich / Oil cooler Problems!

R

riske

Right i have a 16 row Mocal cooler that have been running for ages. Bought some new guages and a sandwich plate.
Went to fit em last nite and they dont all fit in the gap?! I even went out to buy a shorter filter from a 200sx, which again didnt fit.:doh:

To fix this do i need to get a filter relocation thingy but then im now thinking will running all these add on oil things cause problems , thats if they even fit??

What are you guys running and anyone recommend any good relocators??

Cheers

geoff pine

The mo cal kit should fit with the standard Nissan filter its a bit tricky putting the filter on i put it on from above at an angle it just fits how thick is your sandwich plate ?.

R

riske

SOrry i may have confused the situation.

Heres an example of the situation however my filter doesnt fit on because there is no space and it hits the drive shaft and brake lines:

Last edited by a moderator:

geoff pine

Unfortunatly i can not acess that link will the second sndwich plate not go where the original OE oilcooler fits i have seen a photo of stumo,s and hes done it this way.

antgtir

I have aMocal oil cooler fitted with thermo sandwich plate and it all fits within the space? I have left the OE oil cooler in place, added the sandwich plate and then screwed the filter onto that (as shown in your sketch).

Granted the filter is close to the steering rack boot, but it doesn't foul it and its still relatively easy to get the filter on and off.

Im not sure how thick my sandwich plate is but it all fits nice and snug.

Ant.

rayman75

i built up my own oil cooler kit but did use a mocal thermo sandwhich plate, the oil filter does fit, when you screw it on at first it will foul slightly on the steering rack, but when you tighten it right up it clears.

Tim

It'll be the new sandwich plate that's thicker than the mocal one i imagine?

My mocal plate, doesn't have take offs for gauges at all

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The mo cal kit should fit with the standard Nissan filter its a bit tricky putting the filter on i put it on from above at an angle it just fits how thick is your sandwich plate ?.
Weren't you going to try this too Geoff?

I think it's a great idea; why not replace the factory water-cooled one with your uprated one? That's two less pies at the back of the engine to split, and the filter has the same amount of clearance. Plus it's not like you need the original one if you're putting an uprated one in anyway... you don't put two radiators or two intercoolers in do you?

geoff pine

Weren't you going to try this too Geoff?

I think it's a great idea; why not replace the factory water-cooled one with your uprated one? That's two less pies at the back of the engine to split, and the filter has the same amount of clearance. Plus it's not like you need the original one if you're putting an uprated one in anyway... you don't put two radiators or two intercoolers in do you?
have looked in to it but just can not be bothered as its not even close but if the plate for the gauges is thicker it may work.

Trip

Am I understanding it right. Do you have 2 sandwich plates ? One to fit the sensors and another one with inbuild thermo and to fit the pipes coming and going from oil cooler ?

I really wish to know how to get the "Stumo" mod done. What to do with the water pipes going in the oil cooler ?

the chief

take the nut screw thingy in the middle of the sandwich plate down to halford and try all the small filters on it and buy the one that fits

R

riske

Ok right, im still a bit confused because my mocal plate is the same thickness as my sandwih plate. I cant fit both on plus the filter (even with a shorter filter) without hitting the steering rack. Where does the standard oil cooler sit? How is it attached to the engine also where? Currently i have no clue??!!

R

riske

huh?! Do you mean actually in the filter???

What filter relocation makes etc do you guys recommend or have exoerience with??

antgtir

How does joining the two pipes up on the OE heat exchanger lower temps more than when it is connected as standard?

Is the controlling factor the ambient water temp? i.e. as the water passes through the exchanger the oil temp is almost warmed whereas if you create the closed loop effect the water rad is capable of controlling the water temps and the oil cooler is capable of controling the oil temps more efficiently?

An interesting relationship which begs the question of, why did Nissan design it this way?

Ant.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think you missed the point Ant; if you've fitted an after-market oil cooler you don't need the original one, so you can take that out of the cooling circuit. It's designed to cool the oil with the coolant, but it's not an incredibly effective solution as the oil soon exceeds the cooling capacity of the water and the block just keeps getting hotter.

geoff pine

Trip was asking about removing the oe oil cooler im sure its stu thats blanked of his oe oil cooler it still leaves you with the two water pipes to deal with . ( Just put a short loop between the main water pipes )

R

riske

Thanks for the pic trip!
Think im just going to get a filter relocation kit but need to have some feedback on which ons are good and compatible. Cheers guys for all the help so far