Oil coolers

MarkTurbo

Few questions for everyone with oil cooler kits.

What size oil cooler are you using? I was thinking 13/16 rows would be about right?

Do you use a normal sandwich plate, or one with a stat?

Where is it mounted? (I've still got a top mount i'cooler, so it can't go there :wink: ) I was looking at putting it behind the grill.

S

Sirnixalot

get at least a 13row core...i have a 10 and its too small. Get one with a thermostat as well.

coxie

i have just fitted a 16row cooler with stat and braided lines.cant beleive i didnt fit 1 sooner it makes a hell of a difference, there is a pic added in my members section a couple of days ago for an idea on where to fit it.

MarkTurbo

Cheers lads :D Looks like i'll be hunting round for a 16 row oil cooler at work tomorrow then :wink:

Coxie, just been looking at your pics (nice car by the way :D ) does the oil cooler sit in the brake duct hole?

ashills

do people really need oil coolers on the R when running 1-1.2 bar
im runnning 1.5 bar now and even when i did teh 3 runs on rollers it never went much above 90

maybe ill notice it more in the summer but the standard cooler does seem very good

D

DodgeT

ive only got the standard oil cooler & mine hasnt gone over 90deg in the 3 months ive had it :?

Keira

No point having cool boost temps if the oils heating everything back up again, thats how i look at it....

At the end of the day having one isn't going to hurt :wink:

MarkTurbo

ashills said:
do people really need oil coolers on the R when running 1-1.2 bar
im runnning 1.5 bar now and even when i did teh 3 runs on rollers it never went much above 90
After a 15 minute track session at castle combe last year my oil temp was about 120 :shock: That was at standard boost.

Depends on how you drive the car i suppose.