Oil/coolant heater

CanadianR

I have been looking into some options to heat the block and oilpan in the cold canadian winter.

I have found some options such as a thread in block heater with an element, where it threads into a frost plug hole.

There is another option, a lower rad hose heater, that goes inline your lower rad hose and heats the antifreeze that way.

The latest I've read about (which is popular with inboard/outboard engine boat owners in the US) is a type of magnetic heater that you can stick onto the side of your oilpan, and it heats the pan and oil.

What I'm wondering is if anybody is already using something like this?

Any benefits to using one type over the other?

And don't bother saying that a heater is not needed, I let the car warm up for 10 minutes the other day when it was only -10 out and the car felt like molasses. (probably did not help that I had redline heavy shockproof in the transmission either) - so I may get a magnetic one to heat the transmission/case and rear setup as well.

any opinions or ideas are appreciated.:thumbsup:

J

jpward

CanadianR said:
I have been looking into some options to heat the block and oilpan in the cold canadian winter.

I have found some options such as a thread in block heater with an element, where it threads into a frost plug hole.

There is another option, a lower rad hose heater, that goes inline your lower rad hose and heats the antifreeze that way.

The latest I've read about (which is popular with inboard/outboard engine boat owners in the US) is a type of magnetic heater that you can stick onto the side of your oilpan, and it heats the pan and oil.

What I'm wondering is if anybody is already using something like this?

Any benefits to using one type over the other?

And don't bother saying that a heater is not needed, I let the car warm up for 10 minutes the other day when it was only -10 out and the car felt like molasses. (probably did not help that I had redline heavy shockproof in the transmission either) - so I may get a magnetic one to heat the transmission/case and rear setup as well.

any opinions or ideas are appreciated.:thumbsup:
Build a garage with heating in it :lol:

stumo

Although i have had no exposure to either system **I would have thought that the sump heater would be better for your engine than the water heater (the water heater would be better for you though 8) ) as i wouldn't have thought much heat would be transfered to the oil if you just heated the water.

I guess the ideal thing would be to get two heaters, one for the water (either the core plug or "in the hose" type) and one for the oil.
That way the oil will be nice and warm and you'll have a working heater straight away.:-D

**ok, who got it?

P

pulsarboby

yeah whats gone wrong with you:shock: you never help anyone:?
has one of those little hoody scouser kids given you a good pasting and made you more normal? or have you seen the light and become a strong born again christian like myself?

would you like to join my christian movement now stu? we can spread the word of jesus to all our disciples, and sing hymns and stuff like that, theres only a small entry fee:lol:

stumo

I'll help anyone who can string a sentance or two together.

I hate fookin lazy tw#ts who can't be ar$ed to spell or construct a legible sentence.

I don't do religion sh1t, it's the cause of most wars in history(aswell as ethnic crap).
Years ago it was emotional blackmail and jobs for the kings best mates (and they were all nasty bastids too)

P

pulsarboby

im gonna convert you into a bible bosher and make you repent all your sins that you have cast on so many innocent people:lol: then when you are fully conversant of the lords work we can become hoodies carrying rucksacks and cast fear on those that walk beneath us:twisted: not long now stu, il soon be coming to scouseland with me box of prayers, and my other box to collect entry fees to my demonic movement hahaha!

just incase your interested, my new christian movement is otherwise known as the bowwel movement (beneficiaries of wisdom who enspire life):lol:

P

pulsarboby

well its a 'heated' discussion me & stumos having
and i may ask jesus to bless you with some warmth in your homeland, then you wont need one! hence ive saved you a lot of money:lol: :lol:

CanadianR

options:

in-line coolant heater:

^^ need to know diameter of lower rad hose.

magnetic oilpan heater (may use on transmission/case since there's redline heavy shockproof in there)

^^ circulating coolant heater, uses smaller hoses not attached to main rad hoses.