Odd clutch - not fully engaging

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Had a new clutch fitted a few months ago (uprated unit) and everything has been fine. The clutch pedal clicks 50% of the time which I believe to be the pedal box. However the last few weeks after a run or in traffic, I find sometimes it won't fully disengage the clutch. You have to really push the pedal to the floor to get it to work. I was thinking its the clutch cylinder on its way out? any input please

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What clutch is it? It could be the fork.

Check for leaks from the flexi hose. Also it could be either of the master (fluid on the pedal) or slave cylinders.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
The clutch is an ACT paddle unit.

Thing is it seems to only happen after the car has warmed up, I'd expect the fork to be faulty from cold? also there is no clutch slip at all and the problems are only at low speed/revs.

Haven't had a leak and the fluid level looks good to me.

Jonesy

When my clutch pedal box started to break away, i thought it was only happening when the car was warmed up, but i think it was the pedal box bracket stretching the more you use the clutch. Check to see if theres any flex in the brackets causing less clutch travel.

Jonesy

Pretty much there's various places it can break away, just get your head in the footwell and look up at the clutch pedal and press the pedal, it should be pretty obvious if its broken away or flexing, make sure you have a support bracket fitted aswell.
Then just weld up the broken bit depending on where its broke it might be a bit awkard to weld, but have a look first might be ok.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I'v got a brother in law and a friend to do the welding, I'll be making the Tea :whip2:

Jonesy

Oh well it will be a peice of p*ss then :lol:
Have a look first may not be the problem, but sounds like it could be.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
the welding is he easy bit, he forgot to tell you that you'll need to remove the dash e.t.c. to avoid fires if you have to weld up the bulkhead/pedal box.

in fact it's a right pain in the arsse job the more I think about it :?

Jonesy

It's possible to weld it with the dash in place, the spot welds at the top are accesible by remvoing the window wipers and the plastic cover under them, not sure what its called and if the lower part has broken you can get it with the dash in place, just remove the easy parts under steering column etc.
But keep and eye out for fires and remove any capret or anything that may catch fire, have the hose on standby.
It would be a better job removing the dash and strengthing the whole lot, but you dont have to if you want a quick fix.
I'll problably remove my dash and do the above when i get time and can be bothered, but its holding fine the now.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
if I can do a quick fix to test the theory then can do a proper job on it when we have time to strip the dash etc

kenan

South West Regional Rep
It was the clutch master cylinder. Had lost fluid (why did I miss the fluid was low?) causing the weird clutch feel.

GTiR-Aholic

maybe had air in the system needed bleeding to let the fluid go down properly. My master cylinder currently doesnt hold any fluid, got a big crack in it and everytime i try to fill it, it pours back out but my clutch is working fine and doesnt seem to draw air loool