O2 sensor

turbazz

How important is it to have a working O2 sensor? Would it affect performance and economy...

Where is the cheapest I can get a new one

what Reading should I get am getting 0 volts does it need warming up? Using Nissan consult!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's not critical to have a working lambda sensor, but obviously you get no closed-loop operation when you're cruising so the fuel economy (sic) will drop. - It doesn't really affect the performance seeing as you're on open-loop when you're on the power.

Yes, it needs to heat-up to operate. The GTiR runs a titania sensor (rather than the more common zirconia); so it's not about the voltage; it's about the electrical resistance of the probe. - That's why it's a three wire probe rather than two; one wire for the ECU to supply 1.0V, and the other two measure the resistance across the probe.

So low resistance when it's rich and high resistance when it's lean.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Wikipedia tells me that titania probes respond faster to the mixture, but they're more expensive as a result (and only operate in a binary fashion; giving "rich" or "lean" as the only two responses).

That makes sense because the service manual says you're trying to get it to switch between rich and lean once per second to achieve stoichiometry.