non starting, sparks when it wants to, getting on me boobs

gtir_john

right ive had a problem with the R for a few weeks now, it started off as driving along and lost all power, would idle fine just when you tried to rev it it would cough and miss, you could get it rev high but had to keep blipping the throttle quickly, anyway after a bit of jiggery pockery at the road side got it running fine again after playing with the afm connector, so i thought problem solved, oh no, it did it again a few days later outside the house, turned the engine off and left it for a minute or so and all ok, anywho last week it just wouldnt fire, no spark when turning it over, checked coil and ok, checked dizzy and as per manual fluctuates between 5v and 0v half way round but only 3.6v and 0v on the other half, i know this isnt within the tolerance exactly, but i would still expect enough spark to run, not sure how to check power transistor as lost that bit of the manual. still think the afm has some part tyo do with the running troubles. but what i found yesterday has got me baffled, when cranking the car, there is no spark whatsoeverr at the plugs(earthed one to block), but when the battery is on its last legs and starts turning over slowly i get a spark albeit a weak ish one but a spark, have tried this everal times and the same, when the battery is dying i get a spark , does the R run some sort of ballast resistor and could this be at fault, please somebody help as im having to drive a metro and it hurts :( , cheers in advance

right just had another look at it and the afm is recieving battery voltage to the middle and right hand side terminals, and getting 8.6v to the left hand terminal, my afm has been moved and small spade terminals to the afm, possible these have touched together and shorted something out, any thoughts people, the voltages at the afm were with ign on, not at idle(obviously as the pile wont run)

john

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
YOu may have already done this but I'd start with battery and earths.

What voltage is at your battery and check the Engine/ECU earths.

Jim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What does it rev to when you loose power?
Under certain conditions it'll only rev to 2500ish while running on a preset map.

gtir_john

fault s found, an earth track on the ecu had burnt out, this earth was used for my multi checker, and itc, hence wouldnt fire(if the itc is unplugged car wont run) so kinda soldered the ecu and it runs ish, still thinking the afm is goosed, so will be able to check that now its running again

gtir_john

borrowed an afm and problem solved, gonna be needin to purchase an afm and gonna get an ecu just incase my soldering skills cant handle the power of the R