Noise from engine bay - Power steering pump

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have noise coming from somewhere on the pulley end of my engine and can't pin point it. It's not there all the time (comes and goes), but it's there more than it isn't there. It's a sort of rattle with a sort of slurp thrown in every so often. :shock: Maybe I have 2 faults ganging up on me. :cry:
Could people tell me what the following sound like just before they're gonna fail

a) Power steering pump
b) water pump
c) timing chain tensioner
d) top end (cam followers or whatevers up there)

I think it's one of them, but not sure which one, I'm tempted to go with the timing chain tensioner tho.

GTIR-LOZ

best bet is to try to get a long extension or screwdriver onto each of the pulleys in turn an listen on the end of the impliment, then the louder one will be the fault :) if it stays the same , then likely to be something else

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I did think of that, but then thought ...... screw driver on turning pulley = ouch ouch ouch!!! :wink: I tried abit of hose to my ear instead, but sods law said the noise stayed away. Problem is it didn't sound too good when it was there. :(

Anyway, I'm gonna go for a test drive today :wink: and expect something to fail :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think the answer maybe in the fact that I lost my power steering on the way back from the Pod. :shock:
I'm guessing the noise was my pump, but is it normal for you to lose all the fluid if the pump goes? Or has anyone lost the fluid for any other reason which might apply to me?

B

big boy

you must have a leak in the system and the noise is the pas pump seizeing cause of the lack of fluid

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Until I lost the fluid today, the level was fine. I topped it up with about an egg cup full yesterday (was just on min), but have lost the lot today. The noise has been there for a few days, with no leak :?:

O

Olly

Check your PAS rack boots are they swelled up cos if your loosing it but can't see it then its probably in them, a sign that your rack seals are worn, my Beemer did that too me once. :x

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've put abit of fluid in it today and started her up, I can't see any leaks from any hoses, but I'm getting small spots of oil thrown on me and I'm about 100% sure it ain't the rack. The reason being that, when I turn the engine off, there is a considerable leak from somewhere around the pump, the best I can tell is that it's on the bottom of the pump body somewhere. The connections that I can see, I can't see any oil coming from. So I think the best option is to replace the pump, and just hope I don't find a damage hose when I'm taking them off the pump :oops: .

Anyone had a power steering pump fail like this before?
Anyone rebuilt a pump, as looking at the manual it can be stripped down and seals/gaskets replaced.
Anyone know if it's a bitch of a job to do with the engine in?

G

gotoinstant-redline

mine leaks PS fluid. i have to top it up every time i think about it.. if i leave it more than a few weeks (if i'm driving it) then the pump makes a nasty noise..

tends to mean that its run out of fluid..
sounds to me like you ran out of fluid then your pump went on the way home..

dunno how easy/hard it is to fix.. good luck. oh and do let me know how much it costs as i'll prolly have to do the same thing sooner or later.

L.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The pump costs £400 all of a few pennies. :shock: and 2 seal kits to overhaul it cost about £20.

Somethings failed to cause the leak on the way home, as it wasn't leaking before and I've never had to top it up before. I'm hoping the pump will be ok inside, judgeing by the amount of fluid in my back yard, it shouldn't have run dry. :wink:

E

Edd

do you still want mine mate
been too busy to post it today, sorry
oh shit i forgot to ring the bloke at exedy to meet tomorrow :shock: :x

E

Evil_GtiR

yeah i had a power steering pump fault before. Sounds like same problem you are having. Loud noises from engine bay but can't find out where it came from. Mechanic changed the pump and it was fine.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The seal around the driveshaft is knackered, there's alot of play in the shaft too. So it was definately my pump.