No spark!!!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Got a little problem and need some advice :)

I’ve just had my clutch repaired the other day, drove my car home and no problems. Started it the other day to move it, no problems. Came to start it today and guess what – its not playing ball!!! :evil:
It does turn over and makes all the right noises too, just no actual firing up

Now I’ve had a little “search session” on the forum and there are a few tricks I’ve tried to get it going

So far:

• Put fuel in it
• Fuel pump works (its wurring away - walbro)
• Alternator changed
• Fault code check (5-5) all working there!
• Heated the plugs to dry them out
• Cleaned plugs
• Cleaned dizzy and lead connections
• Immobiliser seems to be working right
• Checked for spark – Nothing

I’m baffled why it’s not starting, I’ve even got to my old man for help (an electrical engineer) and he’s a little stumped.
Granted we know there’s no spark coming through (checked at the dizzy); we are just wondering if anyone else can help or offer advice? :)

I’ve got a trackday on wed and I would be super pissed off if I missed it over this minute problem. :cry:

Any suggestions/help?

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

ignition modules burnt out is my first suggestion!

check the multiplugs to coil, module, and dizzy are all making a good connection, if so then try a different coil king lead.
if that dont work then its more than likely a burnt out ign module, faulty pickup sensor in dizzy or last but not least, a faulty coil.

if you pay for postage andy then il send you a dizzy, module and coil down to you, then just use what you need and square me up at the trackday @ cadwell

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
if you pay for postage andy then il send you a dizzy, module and coil down to you, then just use what you need and square me up at the trackday @ cadwell
Might be worth a shot :-D

Mr GTiR said:
Andy, i've got most bits if you want to nip over to me.

What haven’t you got kind sir? :-D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Got a complete OE ignition system too.

I had a similar problem yesterday, it was a damaged wire to the ignition amp so no trigger.

Give me a call if you need a hand and if you don't have my number then PM me.

If I can't get to your place I can at least help you fault fins over the phone as there isn't much I don't know about the ignition system.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
campbellju said:
If I can't get to your place I can at least help you fault fins over the phone as there isn't much I don't know about the ignition system.
Cheers Jim

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

stone the crows andy you must be quite a well liked chap:lol: 8) lots of help offers there!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Micra Ed said:
The ecu is supposed to be able to detect if the ignition amp fails, but doesn't always.
Yeah I read about that in a previous thread, but when I did the fault check it’s was a 5-5

pulsarboby said:
stone the crows andy you must be quite a well liked chap:lol: 8) lots of help offers there!
Yeah, I’m so surprised too :-D

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Many thanks to all that’s helped me on this problem. Turned out to be the ignition amp, a simple change and it was fired up ready for a quick blast out! 8)

Cheers to all...

stumo

fubar andy said:
Many thanks to all that’s helped me on this problem. Turned out to be the ignition amp, a simple change and it was fired up ready for a quick blast out! 8)

Cheers to all...

It was the coil ya dumbass :doh:

P

pulsarboby

pulsarboby said:
ignition modules burnt out is my first suggestion!

haha another online diagnosis, my heads growing by the day:lol:

i wont be able to get my crashelmet on at cadwell andy, il have to use one of them old ww11 german tin lids:lol: things are now looking grim though as im carrying an extra stone around due to me head sizing, reckon cars gonna be a bit top heavy somehow!

stumo

pulsarboby said:
haha another online diagnosis, my heads growing by the day:lol:

i wont be able to get my crashelmet on at cadwell andy, il have to use one of them old ww11 german tin lids:lol: things are now looking grim though as im carrying an extra stone around due to me head sizing, reckon cars gonna be a bit top heavy somehow!

it was the coil ya dumbass:der: :der: :der:

P

pulsarboby

ha well i did say that 2nd so clever dumbass if you dont mind mr stumo;-) :p

you coming to any of these trackdays young stuey?

stumo

might turn up to Oulton, not going to Cadwell unless the car is working and i doubt that

P

pulsarboby

take the 350z or any ol shitter you can lay your hands on. if you were closer id lend you a car, or you can have a spin out in the old pooper im taking if you like!