No positive boost - any ideas?

G

gtirbhp

Hi Guys/Gals.

3 Weeks ago my R went thru a pot-hole - and it tore a hole on the bottom left of my intercooler (basically creating a hole into the chamber). I sealed it and took it for a drive and i had positive boost (slightly leaking but still plenty of boost). Eventually i again had zero boost as the temporary fill i made for the hole came off.

So...i then made a proper seal over the hole on the intercooler. Took it for a drive - everything was great (no boost leaks) and then all of a sudden ZERO boost. I thought the hole must be opened back up again thus no boost but was surprised to see when i got back to the house that the hole was still perfectly covered airtight and so at that point my eyes went crosseyed :lol:

I have since fitted a new fount mount to the car (was hoping this would sort the problem out as the old one is a state!) But still no positive boost..Like you can rev the car as hard as you want but you dont get boost and both the digi boost control and anologue guage show 0.00 boost. On the guage it sits at -15 psi as usual and when revved will go up to zero BUT never just slightly over as the car use to do and make the woooopp-tissss it should.

Could it be the turbo ? Any help is much needed and appreciated!

John

G

gtirbhp

just a general leak fix substance for high pressured systems

jameswrx2

hmm, can you explain further? Not some sort of dodgy spray that goes in and seals holes or something??

Or was it some sort of bandage on the outside?

Other thing to consider is (like you say) the turbo. If you tried to drive it normally with the hole the turbo would be working it's **** off trying to make the boost so probably over speeding, poss causing faliure.

G

gtirbhp

Pulsarmark - that would be a good guess if all the substance i used wasnt still attached to the front mount that i took off... that wouldnt stop the turbo winding though would it?

Jameswrx2 - Bandage type on outside then it was coated to create the airtight seal. def not a dodgy spray :)

I can only think of one thing that could have went wrong and thats turbo - from what jameswrx2 says it could have went plop trying like hell to make any sort of boost. Is there a simple way to check for turbo failure?

John

Last edited by a moderator:

jameswrx2

Take the intake to the turbo off and check the compressor blades are all intact.

If you have oversped the turbo (and it's likely with a hole in the pipework/intercooler) then you may well have caused damage.

If it's trying it's **** off to make boost it'll go supers sonic, not ideal to say the least.

G

gtirbhp

perfect man thanks for the info - i will get it off today and see whats the score!

Braveheart

pulsarmark said:
Maybe this has been sucked up into the inlet and caused a blockage :doh:
I agree and think you have sucked some of the filler into a vacuum pipe and caused a blockage or it's found it's way into your turbo, damaged the blades or stopped them from turning.

G

gtirbhp

Cheers for your input. I guess i should start by getting a look at the turbos blades and if all seems ok il take off the pipework from intercooler to plenum and check in there etc - missing the r so much!

will post back if i find out anything - again cheers to everyone and if anymore ideas pop up post them here as every little helps :)

J

G

gtirbhp

I have had a look in at the turbo blades.. They look pretty ok to me - I will try get the picture up (unfortunatly only had my mobile phone for a camera and im too dumb to be able to get it off my phone to here)

What am i looking for - worn blades etc?

It looked ok but im still getting no boost whatsoever - the car has never had a problem until that bl00dy pothole! :lol: :lol:

Should the turbo be spinning at idle ? (mine is not)

when exactly do the blades start to turn ? on idle or like 2000 rpm ?

Thanks in advance guys

J

gtir_pimp

i think the blades are always spinning even at idle. i remember lookin at my old rovers turbo blades when at idlle an im sure they were spinning. someone will say different if im wrong!

G

gtirbhp

Thats what i thought and was looking in at motionless blades (that looked in good nick)

It would be some decent news if it was a simple turbo swap :)

Thanks gtir-pimp - i hope you are right!

gtir_pimp

decent turbo change?:shock: its not a hard job but they aint cheap brand new and are very hard to get hold of second hand in good condition! BUT i have seen 2 second hand ones on ebay starting at low prices, one has just been rebuilt, have a look on there. i know people dont trust the turbos off ebay but thats the new ones that blow up:lol:
do the blades spin when you rev it?

G

gtirbhp

:lol: :lol: i mean it seems it will be an easyish job - until i get the tools out and try to get the first nut off ;) from then on i will be having a hissy fit :)

I gave the throttle body/cable/thingy a couple purges whilst looking in at blades and didnt get any movement whatsoever - even to someone like myself with a complete lack of knowledge this seemed strange. Would this confirm that the turbo is goosed ?

Thanks again m8

J

gtir_pimp

yes i would think so im afraid. i blew a turbo a little while back and when revved the turbo stayed pefectly still! felt even slower than a normal 2litre engine:lol: also fooked another one and the whole blades/wheel came off and were just lying there:lol: :lol:
im just saying from expereince so make sure before you go changing it. someone on here should say for definate. i only know one mechanic on here even though there are lots, so pm pulsarboby and he will tell you for sure;-)

G

gtirbhp

gtir_pimp said:
yes i would think so im afraid. i blew a turbo a little while back and when revved the turbo stayed pefectly still! felt even slower than a normal 2litre engine:lol: also fooked another one and the whole blades/wheel came off and were just lying there:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: sounds like me!

My R feels like its got a 1 litre 50bhp engine under the scoop when you dont have turbo power :oops: it really gives you a true idea of what those 1.2 litres with big subs and bodykits feel like to drive :?

gtir_pimp said:
im just saying from expereince so make sure before you go changing it. someone on here should say for definate. i only know one mechanic on here even though there are lots, so pm pulsarboby and he will tell you for sure;-)
I will make sure to get a second opinion but think your spot on - will pm pulsarboby tomorrow and let him unleash his wisdom and knowledge upon me!

Thanks very much for your help - its relaxed me knowing that i dont (most likely) have to keep fault finding every second i have to spare..Will let you know if you were right

help much appreciated

J

G

gtirbhp

Hey Guys thanks to all who helped with this! It is now solved

Tried turning the turbine wheel with my hand - it was tight and not moving.
Anyways after a bit of gentle convincing it started to turn and felt free again!
I started the engine and low and behold i had a spinning turbo :) and with a little engine rev i could watch it speed up and down - I will prob get the turbo properly off over next couple weeks and send it to be re-conditioned but thanks for the help guys and gtir-pimp you sent me in the right direction so thankyou!

J