New Earth Wire and Chassis Earth Points

hmmm

Would it do me any good changing the earth wire on the car as I have a spare new one? While I'm at it , I was thinking of claening the earth chassis points as well :p.

If I do clean them, should I sand off the corrosion or use a cetain type of cleaner?

Is it really worth me doing this or am I just wasting my time :roll:.

A

AJ4

its worth it, just sand off to clean metal. Once connected, cover with vasoline or hammerite or something to stop it going rusty.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
hmmm said:
Is it really worth me doing this or am I just wasting my time :roll:.
You'd only be wasting your time if your currrent earth lead/points are in tip top condition :wink:

hmmm

As the earthing points and wire are 13 years old, I guess it's worth doing :wink:.

Now to start searching trhough the various chassis earth points :roll:.

Thanks for your advice.

A

AJ4

you could always use the spare lead to make a 'circle earth' ( like a ring main in your house )

leon2engines

i got loads of blue wires going afrom the car to my engine, is this the same thing? what happens if you have a earthing problem?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
this is the only pic i can find of the earthing kit :oops: doesnt show it in great detail but all those yellow cables go back to the negative terminal of the battery.

J

jpward

I am in the process of getting some 4mm cable and a hand full of ring end clamps and then all you do is cut to required length crimp on ends and join various points of the engine to the NEG terminal ive seen a nice job done before where the guy had four leads screwed to the rocker cover bolts and a few in front and behind the motor in colour coded wire looked nice so pop down your local Cable wholesalers and they have reals of the stuff should be able to get good quality stuff for little money or you can but the kits on ebay but then you dont know the quality of the wire!! :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i saw a 6mm kit in b&q today - looks ideal for the job, £11.99 - when i get my R back i'll fit it and post up some pics

Fire & skill

Vintage member
jpward said:
IS it for cars? or general good price for it!
well i was going to go to edmundsons and get a roll of 4mm from them but i saw this kit while i was looking for a bit 1.5x3 flex - couldn't believe how cheap it was :D and it looked good quality stuff - think it was 16 strand. may have to make an extra bit up for the negative terminal - but i'm planning on running to at least 4x points - but no it wasn't specifically for cars.

J

jpward

Must drop in have a look if you can get it in red it be ok although 6mm is a bit OTT but do the job OK :D