New calipers. What pads?

Cathode

Yes! Bought these beauties. I know some people poo poo wilwoods compared to Hispec and K-sport but i seem to be blinded by science on other websites and Wilwood offer a simple solution. Anyway, my question is, what pads do you recommend?

i'm not tracking the car, just street use but would like something with over average bite. EBC green stuff??
image.jpeg

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Something like Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 (maybe DS Performance Brake Pads depending if your driving will be chilled/mild on the road).

EBC are a bit cheap, but redstuff if your on a budget could be ok.

Just make sure you have all the front and rear pads the same compound for even braking.

Chris1

Oooooooo, new brakes, very nice! I've got an early set of Superlite four pots with two piece discs, can't complain about the performance at all. Wilwood customer service is pretty swift also should you need them.

Something like Mintex 1144 or Ferodo DS2500 (maybe DS Performance Brake Pads depending if your driving will be chilled/mild on the road).

EBC are a bit cheap, but redstuff if your on a budget could be ok.

Just make sure you have all the front and rear pads the same compound for even braking.
This. :handpointup:

Mintex seem to be a popular option for fast road use. It's what I will go for when I have to make a purchase.

Chris.

LeeSmith

I've been looking at big brake kits, a few people have told me that wilwoods aren't that great, but the price attracts me & they have to be better than stock! Like you mine is not a dedicated track car, so I'll prob follow suit and get the same setup - thanks for the update.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've been looking at big brake kits, a few people have told me that wilwoods aren't that great, but the price attracts me & they have to be better than stock! Like you mine is not a dedicated track car, so I'll prob follow suit and get the same setup - thanks for the update.
You've kind of answered your own concerns. :)

The Wilwoods are good for street use, but do struggle on track.
Make sure you have cooling ducts to the brakes if you drive hard on the streets.

Also add braided lines all round and the same pads in the front and rear with quality brake fluid.

bill-n14

hey mate
why didnt go for skyline or 300zx or s14 ( i know is iron calipers but anyway ) ??
with primera 280mm front and redrill it into 4x114 into 4x100 new pads and thats it rigth ??
i have this set up in my car and it has great stop power
300zx calipers with 310mm rotor from skyline r33 if i remember correct it some years ago

bill-n14

as friend say up willwood is super i know is made uk thats all good but for street use
in race or drive hard didnt work propertly
after all rebuiolt calipers 300zx or whatever you like nnew rotor new pads new brake lines is almost the same money
how much cheaper you buy it ??

and if you buy it and didnt like how they work and have to sell it ??
my opinion you go for something better and stronger :yum:
after all is your money

Cathode

it's also about the pads, they're super important. You can have 8 pot callipers but with shite pads you might as well open the door and use your Nike to skid to a stop.

And to quote myself in the OP "i'm not tracking the car, just street use but would like something with over average bite" and they do that really well.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
it's also about the pads, they're super important. You can have 8 pot callipers but with shite pads you might as well open the door and use your Nike to skid to a stop.
This is very true! :arrowup:

The main issue I had for my Wilwoods was the heat build up, but this was mainly on track.
The pads were fine (Carbotech XP8), but the fluid overheated on track as the calipers weren't really cooled well enough and large enough to cope with the overall heat from very hard braking.
This lead to a soft peddle and a loss of braking performance.

On the road the Wilwoods were pretty decent.

Last edited: