mystery leak!!!!

B

bomba_st@r

good day mates...im pretty new to the gti-r family, but let me say that my new lady has impressed me beyond my mind!!! anyways i have question for u all, i recently did a routine maintainence on the gtir(oil change, water pump-nothin routine on that, filters, etc....and when i started it, i started to leak a good amount of oil...about a slow stream...7-8 drops each time i stop the motor...im goin to check the bottom, oil pan, etc....my question is , what i should look for, and any tips on looking for the problem while im down there! i know i need to take out the exhaust etc...any tips and advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!....ken:thumbsup:

MORF114

Er.... try looking to where the oil is coming from?! what was the state of the oil you took out and how thin was the new oil you put in ?

did you take off the sump cover off at all?

B

bomba_st@r

the oil looked fine when i changed it....im running on 10w 30 now....should i try a different one? sump cover? u mean the oil pan...if yes then yeah i did take it out!...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it engine oil that's leaking? Where's it leaking from?

Smell it to see if it's gearbox/transfer box oil, it smells awful compared to engine oil.

Make sure the oil filter isn't coming loose (it has happened before) did you use a new crush washer on the sump drain plug?

MORF114

Did you find out where its coming from?
Did you use any kind of sealant on the oil pan when you put it back on?

B

bomba_st@r

i used rtb on the oil pan...as for the oil filter imma double check on that...the crush washer is new too!