My Coilovers are here

Perrin21

Just taken delivery of my BC Coilovers for my Pulsar. I opted for the type RA street versions and I'm really looking forward to getting them on my car. A friend is fitting them and I have booked the car into Car Planet racing next week to have the height set and a full four wheel alignment with corner weighting. Can't wait :)

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
is that the car planet where clive + andy [ RC ] work now if so ur car is in good hands and if ur getting ur car mapped they now their stuff

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
is that the car planet where clive + andy [ RC ] work now if so ur car is in good hands and if ur getting ur car mapped they now their stuff
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Perrin, you live in Preston, there are plenty of people that could have done it local for you and at a fraction of the price....

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
So who is best in Preston area Andy?
I'm not recommending anyone, but there are plenty of people local than RCD

Grinspeed - Leyland
Pro-Tec Performance - Preston
John Clarkson - Chorley
Slingshotracing - Preston (but I think they just do bikes iirc - just check with them)
Eightspeed - Darwen

Perrin21

thanks Andy but a recommendation of someone you have used would be useful. im paying three hours labour to set up and corner weight the car at 65 pound an hour plus vat. is that expensive?

vpulsar

I hope you've got smooth roads sunshine otherwise you'll be spending plenty of time in someones hedge, My coil overs lasted about 2 months before I binned them.

John

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
thanks Andy but a recommendation of someone you have used would be useful. im paying three hours labour to set up and corner weight the car at 65 pound an hour plus vat. is that expensive?
In a word - yes (very)!

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I paid £25 to have my suspension put right on one of those laser alignment machines. That seems much better value to me.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
builders string, ruler and axle stands, job done!
I'd need to buy another two axle stands... that's about the same as getting a professional to do it.

I don't see why you'd got to a tuner to get the suspension setup is all. I guess if you want to get the corner weights done you have to pay a little more.

...I could do with some new axle stands though.

Perrin21

For me, handling is more important than power. They seem very experienced in setting up these cars when I called on the phone

vpulsar

Which coilovers did you have?

Very hard fuckers lol, I can't remember now but they where only about £500 so not the greatest, My mate had some ohline (sp) coil overs on his car and they where pretty good, I don't think any coilover is for me though, Especially on a wet roundabout.

John

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For a road car I wouldn't worry about corner weighting. Just set the ride height and you are close enough. I wrote a sticky on it ages ago though I've learnt alot since then.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?34637-FAQ-Suspension-Coilover-Ride-Height-Setup-Guide

330 front, 340 rear is as good a place to start

For camber, get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60cm-Digital-...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item4cf5319b9c

set camber to -1.5 to -1.7deg on the front. Rear is non-adjustable unless you've bought some camber bolts or modified your strut housing.

For toe, I made my own toe plates for about £10 and you can use them with the laser level to check your rear toe in reference to the front. I often final check at a mates garage but it's good enough.

Alternatively, give someone else £25 and get them to setup your toe to 0degs all round.

Also, consider doing the castor mod at the same time as it's proven to be worthwhile. Doing it later will mean you have to do the alignment job again.

Then spend the £150 plus petrol money you've saved on an adjustable rear ARB and some extra bracing.

I

iomegalinux

the rear camber worked a lot for me, +- 1.5 deg neg rear camber.

Perrin21

Very hard fuckers lol, I can't remember now but they where only about £500 so not the greatest, My mate had some ohline (sp) coil overs on his car and they where pretty good, I don't think any coilover is for me though, Especially on a wet roundabout.

John
Why? Whats wrong with Coilovers? I went with the advice given here and got the BC Coilovers . The ride doesn't seem that hard. The geometry is being set up on Tuesday.

red reading

Your ok with the bc coilovers, most of the other coilovers are much to harsh on the road thats why hes saying that! just ignore him and he'll go back under his rock!!lol