MSD Coil

hmmm

Do MSD have a direct replacement coil for the GTi-R? or would modifying be required?

Is the standard coild good enough for 350-400bhp? I am about to get a new Nissan one but am thinking about MSD. Can't be bothered with rewiring so if MSD do a direct fit coil then I'll buy that instead.

Thanks for your advice.

Dooie Pop Pop

hmmm said:
Do MSD have a direct replacement coil for the GTi-R? or would modifying be required?

Is the standard coild good enough for 350-400bhp? I am about to get a new Nissan one but am thinking about MSD. Can't be bothered with rewiring so if MSD do a direct fit coil then I'll buy that instead.

Thanks for your advice.
the oe coil is fine for 400bhp. i used the msd blaster for a while with no worries. it got removed as part of some madmans 6 week rein of terror with my R and i never put it back on :roll:
its easy to fit btw

M

Mr Overboooost

just keep the standard one its more than capable to handle 400+

if you are thinking of going msd then its best to buy the whole msd ignition system as i think using just the coil interfears with the rest of the std ignition system.
had problems with mine but changed back to std coil and problem soved.

cheers
gary

nismoboy

Compared to the nissan coil the msd coil looks crap, very cheap and nasty, i have used both and it did`nt make any difference also my tuner told me to stick with the oe one. I have major missfire problems anyway so im now trying to decide whether to go for a complete uprated ignition to cure this or just to replace all the nissan parts with new bits.??

ashills

well if u read the msd website it says u dont need the resistor with ecu style ignition systems and fitted one today to a nissan ignition system and that worked fine without resistor

Jobi Joba

Is there someone who has tested it on a high boosting engine?

I run 1.7 bar boost on my 420ish bhp toy and wonder if that kind of coil would help (performance talking,I don't care of fuel economy).
I would like to improve mid range response (4,000 to 6,000 rpm) and top end power (reving up to 8,000 rpm) without suffering misfire.

At the mo,I sometimes suffer of misfire when I have peak boost of 1.8bar between 4,500rpm and 5,500rpm or when I rev the engine above 7,600rpm.
I was running IK27 plugs with a gap of 0.8mm.I reduced the gap to 0.6mm and cured my misfire problem.
But now the car feels like a little bit slower.I know my plugs are worn (had an idling problem...was running 10.5:1 afr at idle!!!) but it doesn't explain everything.

Will a MSD coil help me?

BTW,I would like to buy uprated HT leads.I've been told that Magnecor was the one to chose.Right?Is it better to go for 10mm leads? (planing to move to a 500bhp tubby setup) Where can I get Magnecore leads from?Directly from Magnecor?

Oh,and last question: when fitting MSD coil,do we have to fit the resistor or not???

Thx for help mates!

Dooie Pop Pop

i had the resistor fitted but iv since beed advised that the resistors meant for cars without an ecu controlled ignition, if you reread ashill' s post he explains this :wink:
the car (micra) my old blaster is fitted to is running 1.7 bar.

i believe Lou Robs running 2bar with a standard coil :shock: :twisted: :p 8) i might be wrong but i dont think so.

how old is your ignition system, ie coil and ignition amplifier?

Stu

Jobi Joba

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i believe Lou Robs running 2bar with a standard coil :shock: :twisted: :p 8) i might be wrong but i dont think so.

how old is your ignition system, ie coil and ignition amplifier?

Stu
u're right for Lou.

my coil,rotor cap,rotor arm and ignition amplifier are all...13 years old and 58,000 miles old...including 55,000 running std or pretty std specs.

Do u really think the ignition amplifier can be worn??How can this part be worn?I think it just can work or not...no?

Dooie Pop Pop

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: change em all and find out :lol: your coil and ignition amplifier will definately break down over time, they will become less efficiant. i only noticed my old coil was going when i started it up at night and saw a big spark arc to the tmic bracket :shock: :lol:
if you want your engine to last you' ve got to keep the ignition system in tip top shape (as well as everything else) personally id change the cap, arm and leads once a yr with everyday use. thats what i do anyway :p

Stu

your R' s lovely btw :wink:

nismoboy

hi jobbi, your having the exact same problem im having. The msd coil will not fix your problem as i have tried. As dooie says its probably just down to your standard parts being worn, im in the process of changing everything. So far i have changed leads to magnacors,plugs to ngk irridiums heat range 9,new dizzy cap and rotor arm, All that is left to replace is the oe coil and ignition amplifier once funds permit.

ps if u find the problem before i do please let me know what it is. thanks.

Dooie Pop Pop

how old are your plugs? 13 yrs old? :shock: :lol: if they' re fairly new (less the 1yr) and undamaged i' ll have 10 euro' s on it its not your plugs :wink:

Jobi Joba

Dooie Pop Pop said:
how old are your plugs? 13 yrs old? :shock: :lol: if they' re fairly new (less the 1yr) and undamaged i' ll have 10 euro' s on it its not your plugs :wink:
not really old,but they have suffered from a very rich mixture at idle (about 10.5:1) during approx 2,000miles. And those plugs really don't like it...

Jobi Joba

Do u guys fit the MSD Blaster 2 coil (PN8203) or the Blaster SS (PN8207)?? And why do u choose one or the other?

BTW,is there someone here who has the specs of the std coil?(turn ratio, max Voltage,etc...).

Oh,and where do u buy MSD coils for cheap?