Mongoose removal?

jameswrx2

Finally I'll be ditching the noisey, tedious, embarrassing mongoose! (anyone want to buy it? cat back with 3" tail)

BUT..

Is it true that you need the car on a ramp to remove the mongoose exhaust from a GTi-R? ie the loop over the rear axle won't clear unless it's really far off the ground?

Just wanted to check before I start removing mine then find I'm wasting my time with just a decent trolley jack.

I'm sure I read this on here but I can't find it on the search now so thought I'd ask..

O

Odin

You've no chance of getting it off with a trolley jack, I cut mine off with a hack saw and binned it lol, Just take it to a proper exhaust place will be, It's easy peasy for them lol.

Rob

saddler

have i missed something... My mongoose dont sound that noisey.. what did you replace it for...??

O

Odin

saddler said:
have i missed something... My mongoose don't sound that noisy.. what did you replace it for...??

Not noisy :shock: are you f*cking deaf or what matey :doh: .

The goose is well noisy and boomy especially on long trips :roll: :cry: , I've had a better flowing full 3" system made that is actually pretty quiet now ;-) , My wife even said it sounds like a normal car now :thumbsup: .

Rob

gtirjoey

Odin said:
Not noisy :shock: are you f*cking deaf or what matey :doh: .

The goose is well noisy and boomy especially on long trips :roll: :cry: , I've had a better flowing full 3" system made that is actually pretty quiet now ;-) , My wife even said it sounds like a normal car now :thumbsup: .
Rob
well its ot a normal car is it mate?? and please dont start taking advise of your wife on whats good for the car i mean you may as well sell it im sure she tells you do that aswell

O

Odin

gtirjoey said:
please don't start taking advise of your wife on whats good for the car I mean you may as well sell it I'm sure she tells you do that as well

I don't but maybe you could take some grammar and spelling advice from yours :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Their is no need for a road car to sound like nascar at full chat is their :doh: ;-) .

Rob

jameswrx2

hmm, ok cheers Rob. I'm tempted to destroy it but it'll pay for it's replacement.

saddler said:
have i missed something... My mongoose dont sound that noisey.. what did you replace it for...??
You're joking!

The worst bit about the mongoose is the pootling around noise. You just can't do remotely stealthy and the sound is nasty when driving slowly. I can almost forgive it on boost but 95% of the time it's not the exhaust for me. It must be the throttle bodies on the gti-r (obviously combined with the exhaust) but most 2.0L turbo cars don't sound like the raspy'ness of a non silenced gti-r. We de-boxed my mates cossie, fookin loud but wasn't that cringey raspy gti-r sound.

I'm going for a Scorpion, I had one on my old GTi-R and it had a nice sound and you could do stealth (I'm over 30 you know :D )

as much as i tried there was no way of getting it off without my mates 4 poster.

just do it straight aay saves the embarresment of having to tow it like me!

Adam L

If you're any good with a jack and spanners you can drop the rear subframe and it will come out easily. The Mongoose is just a cheap system, I never used one because I thought they looked shit and tacky. It'll probably take about an hour to take it off and get another one on there.

lilmark

Speak to Andy Chan (MrGTiR) he changed his on the floor an a pic of it is his aviator but you are best paying a arage to do it for you unless you have access to a ramp

I have got a Blue flame 2.5" to a 5" exit which aint that loud

azboy

Adam L said:
If you're any good with a jack and spanners you can drop the rear subframe and it will come out easily. The Mongoose is just a cheap system, I never used one because I thought they looked shit and tacky. It'll probably take about an hour to take it off and get another one on there.
mongoose is a good system made for power not for looks

jameswrx2

Ideally I'd go for an exhaust like Rob's one. The mongoose is too loud for me... FWIW I never used to think the mongoose was that loud on a gti-r I had about 8 years ago. I guess being a bit older and I can't help but feel slightly emabarrassed when trying to crawl along.

I had a good look under the car today and must say I'm suprised it will not come off without a ramp.. oh no I hear you sigh.. haha, well I may have a bash. It's been done before! :D

Adam L

azboy said:
mongoose is a good system made for power not for looks
But they're only 2 1/2 inch, so they're not that performance enhancing;-)

The furthest I dared go with a Mongoose was use the downpipe for a few months, that got chucked a long time ago now:lol:

turbodaily

Adam L said:
But they're only 2 1/2 inch, so they're not that performance enhancing;-)

The furthest I dared go with a Mongoose was use the downpipe for a few months, that got chucked a long time ago now:lol:
they are if you compare a downpipe back to a stock exhaust.... plus the pipe run plays a part in it aswell, being mandrel bent and not many restrictive bends, theyre a good system for the £. although i prefer my 5zigen any day ;-)

Adam L

The stock downpipe is turd. I guess if you're using that system with the standard turbo it's fine. The only problem I see is the Pulsar having such a long exhaust run, especially with the turbo being right at the front of the car, it's going to build up backpressure and restrict flow.

I'd rather stick with my 5Zigen too:-D

Mr GTiR

lilmark said:
Speak to Andy Chan (MrGTiR) he changed his on the floor an a pic of it is his aviator but you are best paying a arage to do it for you unless you have access to a ramp

I have got a Blue flame 2.5" to a 5" exit which aint that loud
Mark your having a laugh! The pic in my avtar was me trying to get a dam JDM exhaust off. I had to bolt it back on and get it to a garage with a 4 poster to get the friggin thing off. Once up in the air it took them about 30 seconds to remove it, while it took me all night to TRY and get the f00ker off :lol:

jameswrx2 said:
Ideally I'd go for an exhaust like Rob's one. The mongoose is too loud for me... FWIW I never used to think the mongoose was that loud on a gti-r I had about 8 years ago. I guess being a bit older and I can't help but feel slightly emabarrassed when trying to crawl along.

I had a good look under the car today and must say I'm suprised it will not come off without a ramp.. oh no I hear you sigh.. haha, well I may have a bash. It's been done before! :D

it just WONT come off dont try it!

ill put a pic of my kack-imoto system after i tried getting it off with the rear 4 foot in the air!

Mr GTiR

EssexAaron said:
it just WONT come off dont try it!

ill put a pic of my kack-imoto system after i tried getting it off with the rear 4 foot in the air!
LOL, well look at the picture in my avtar then :doh: :lol: