Minimum octane fuel for my future r?

I

irishjohn

Being in canada the highest octane fuel i have available is sunoco ultra 94 which is 94 octane :cry: (surprise, surprise) is this ok to use in the r or will i have to use some sort of octane booster. i used bp 99 in my skyline i had in northern ireland b4 i moved here in april and wondered if 94 is enuf for the r. thanks for any help...cheers.

J

jpward

Yeah John are you mixing up RON and MON numbers?

95MON (US PUMPS) ~/= 102RON

And Sonoco do a 120 Ron fuel! although at £5/L dare say you wont be using it :lol:

I

irishjohn

not available up here in canada though except at the race track...what about using a mix of toluene to up the octane number a couple of points.anybody tried that,

J

jpward

irishjohn said:
not available up here in canada though except at the race track...what about using a mix of toluene to up the octane number a couple of points.anybody tried that,
Well you can but it is Toxic and probably harder to get your hands on I believe you can safely mix up to 40% but exact amounts i would have to look up again.

There is bound to be a supplier near to you as theres even a bloke From Bangor NI that distributes Sunoco and he will deliver to the door anywhere in NI!!!

You can always use pump+(NOS octance booster Street) Lifts it 3 points or race lifts up to 7 points should be about the $15US mark dont know if you can get that up there??

Or who ever does VP Racing race fuels might be up there?

Does shell do V-power there? or you in the sticks?

I

irishjohn

nope...no v power on this side of the pond. i know that tetrosyl standard cellulose thinner is 94% toluene and the rest is a mix of xlene and alcohol. i guess i'll just try it with the 94 and if it pings i can back the timing off a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickr

Canadian 94 equates to about 98/99 RON
Where in Canada are you? Chevron, Petro Canada, Mohawk all sell 94 octane here in Vancouver.