Low oil pressure + warning light

izmo

hi guys

i've had a look through a few posts regarding this but still don't have no clue.
basically i boosted the car for a good half hour, never red lined it, i parked it up, turned off after a minute as usual from turbo timer, then after 5 min when i started the car again, the oil pressure went down to 2 bar. my oil pressure has always remained @ 4 bar even when cold or hot or when heavily boosting. at that moment i wasn't 2 worried but then when i went over humps the Warning light started to appear on & off. so now while the engine is idling @ 1000 revs the light blinks on & off, on & off.

today when i started the engine from cold, it wen't back to 4 bar but then when i restarted the car, it wen't back to 2, i'm not really 2 concerned about the pressure, more concerned of the light, as several people generally have between 2-6 bar of pressure.

sumone plz help!:sad:

izmo

also i'm using castrol GTX 10W40 oil & car is also due service so i was wondering if the thickness of the oil got lost from usage, but anyhow i chcked my oil when car was cold & was at max

stumo

check you've got enouigh oil in your engine.

then i'd get a mechanical oil press gauge fitted where the oil press sensor is fitted and see what the pressures actually are.

you might have a failing oil press sender (and we all know they never fail do they :roll: )

izmo

oil is full. as the car is due service & hasn't been for like 4k miles do u reckond it could b to do with oil filter? or oil pump? the sensor seems to be ok on a cold engine start

geetee

It could be that the oil has degraded under hard use. GTX isn't a true full synth is it?

Also check you haven't dented your sump, the oil pickup sits quite close to it and a fairly minor dent can have a big effect on the ability to pick up the oil.

What do you mean that the sensor "seems to be ok"? Have you had a multimeter on it?

Not sure if the dash light is linked to the pressure sensor or to some kind of sump level sensor (not heard of one of these but you never know!).

It's due a service anyway so do the oil and filter change with something like Silkolene Pro 15W50 to start off with.

Cheers
Graham

geoff pine

I was going to to fit an after market oil pressure sensor but was told to tee this in as removing the nissan one would mean the low oil warning light would not work .

izmo

hi geetee

your probably right, the oil i have used has probably been degraded, i rinsed the car for quite long although service is due. i haven't had the sensor checked with a multimeter but considering the pressure is normal on a cold start i doubt there is problem with the sensor. i'll just have to get the car serviced first then c, but how is it possible to dent the sump?

izmo

i just opened the car n realised the pressure gauge stayed where it was although i didnt even turn ignition on, this makes me think there is defo something wrong with the sensor