Leak from gearbox

J

J-GTi-R

I've just noticed there's a leak from my gearbox (looks like a seal has gone). I assume this will be an engine/gearbox out job to replace?

A

andy n

you have to drop the engine to get the box off. check your clutch out while its off.

ex-gtir

still quicker to drop the engine :wink: dont like laying on my back for hours with my arms above my head
i-gtir your bit will be with me soon :wink:

M

Mr Overboooost

andy n said:
you have to drop the engine to get the box off. check your clutch out while its off.
you dont have to drop the engine out but a lot of people prefer to do this because they think its easier.
everyone has there own way of doing things :D
cheers
gary

J

J-GTi-R

The engine and 'box may as well come out (courtesy of Mike/ex-gtir) and a new Helix clutch may as well go in (coutesy of Gary/gtir.spares).

I was going to do this anyway, it's just come sooner than I planned... :?

j-gtir your bit will be with me soon
Cheers Mike, I've sent the money for the clutch through to Gary today which should be with me Thurs. Then all is left is for me to get up about 3am on Saturday to get down to yours early enough to do everything needed...

M

memski

Will this be accompanied by a slight boost increase then J? 8)

J

J-GTi-R

Possibly... :roll:

I've still got a few things to get before I have my car ready for 1 bar though, so I'm getting closer but I'm not there yet and my main priority is getting my car back to full health first.

ex-gtir

we can do a 0.9 bar mod if we get time saturday have the parts to do it
you dont need anything else makes a nice difference and you get two boost settings
mike

G

gotoinstant-redline

do please explain mike. seems like a cheap boost controller to me :)

L.

J

J-GTi-R

we can do a 0.9 bar mod if we get time saturday have the parts to do it
you dont need anything else makes a nice difference and you get two boost settings
Hmmm, that does sound tempting. You can tell me a bit more about it on Saturday... :D

A

Anonymous

J, a lot of people have said gearbox has to come out and some have said that the engine has to come out also, but no one has asked where the leak is coming from. Depending on the location will depend on if the gearbox needs to come off at all.

So, do your own homework and find out yourself if this can be fixed with the engine and gearbox in place, otherwise listen to the others and remove the engine/gearbox and get slugged with the extra labour charge.

Ivan

J

J-GTi-R

Thanks Ivan, it's been fixed now and it was at least a gearbox out job (got ex-gtir to take the engine out, as it's his way of doing it and his labour rates are very, very good!!).

The problem was the seal between the transfer case and gearbox, which was then leaking into the bell housing. I've also had three years of abuse on a standard clutch, so I was intending to have a new uprated clutch go in, just I had to do it earlier than planned as I needed the oil leak sorting.

The good thing about doing it engine out, we wouldn't have noticed the water pump is on it's way out if it had been done just gearbox out.