lamda & nissan datascan 1 (1.63)

BMCC

Hi,

I've been looking at the 02 sensor on datascan (data display) while idling on the drive. The display only shows the needle staying at 1 and the air/fuel as rich. If i step on the accelerator and put it to the floor the needle will go up to 100 and back as i take my foot of the accelerator. What should I be seeing on the display? Should it only go between 0 and 1? If I rev it to 2k rpm it just stay on 1 and stays at rich. Seems strange I thought the 02 signal would fluctuate as the car idles.

What do other peoples 02 sensors look like on datascan? I've tested the 02 sensor the way the manual says and all is good. The manual doesn't test the sensor just the circuit so I know it is getting power and the ecu is getting a reading.

BMCC

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I know it's not much help for you, but I turned my O2 sensor off when mapping.

I've been driving around with it off since I've installed Nistune as its not made a shite of difference to the fueling or drivability of the car.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your having problems when cruising around and it's choking or struggling when driving.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've never used datascan, but according to the manual the signal should fluctuate between 1 and 0. - Stoichiometry is when it changes once each second IIRC.

BMCC

Can you check the O2 reading any other way? I've seen a few people state they have put their ECU in mode 2 and watch the light flash. Not sure how this is done reading the manual. Can anyone tell me?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you've got datascan you don't need to do that. - It's just a way to get the ECU to display the mixture reading using the light on the dashboard.

BMCC

If you've got datascan you don't need to do that. - It's just a way to get the ECU to display the mixture reading using the light on the dashboard.
I wasn't getting anything with datascan it just sat at 1 however the dial would go all the way to 100. Only when you put the foot to the floor did it move off one. I put the ECU into mode 2 (for those of you who don't know how to do this just get the car up to temp, turn off the engine, bring up the ignition lights (key to on) then put a wire across the top right two terminals in the ECU diagnostic port, hold in place for a few seconds and remove, the engine check light will start to flash as it reads off fault codes 55 means no faults, start the engine and rev to 2k rpm. The check light should flash on and off at least 5 times in 10 seconds. Turn off the engine wait for a few secs then turn to the on position to make sure the check light comes back on as normal. Now you know your back in mode 1).

Looks like my o2 sensor is fine or at least not well out of spec.

BMCC