knocking noise

chrism

So, alternator problem fixed. next problem:

theres a knocking noise coming from the drivers side wheel area. When I drive slowly, ie out of my parking space, with the wheel on almost full lock to the right it makes a knocky noise. Like a loud click. It also sounds like its grating when Im driving and turn full lock right.
Ive had the drive shaft out and had a look at it and changed the grease but couldnt see anything strange. Im not sure if its the outer cv or the bottom boll joint.

If its the ball joint then do I need to change the whole wishbone? or can u press out them?

Opinions plz guys.

Thanks, Chris.

vss irvine

check your strut bolts are tight at the hub.

it could be a worn cv or a fooked wheel bearing.

if its the balljoint then you can press the old one out.

chrism

Power steering!! Yupp. That needs topped up. That may account for the gratey noise. Strut bolts are cosher.

The wheel bearings are fairly new. Cv or ball joint then. Press out and then in?

Ill start with the ball joint then.

Cheers guys.

vss irvine

make sure the bearings have no play, as they can allow the brake disc to rub on the caliper carrier.

the balljoint has an external c clip, knock it round to breack the seal, then open it up and bin it. (make sure you wear eye protection as they go quite far if they jump!)

before you press the new balljoint in, put it in the freezer overnight, itll help it go in. then new c clip on.

chrism

Filled the power steering fluid up and problems solved. No knocking or scraping whatsoever. U beauty!!

Daygo

Hey guys.. im a new member.. i dont know whrre to post.. am i allowed? Got a mad knock noise more like a thump.. it renders in undrivable at 30km/h..