Knock readings on SAFC2

Danny S R

Ok after having my SAFC2 set up i was getting some terrible knock readings round 170 (i read somewhere 100 is when damage starts to happen?)
Anyway went into the knock set part of the safc 2 and calibrated it again by holding revs at 1500 and 3500 and clicking the middle stick, now on one screen it showed knock peaked at 40 then when i went onto the other kind of display for 4 channel monitoring it showed a peak of 202?! :shock: (This was on the same run as the engine had been turned off when i was messing round and kept the safc 2 on)

Whats going on! And do you set the knock when the cars sat still or when your driving?

Any help appreciated lads n lasses! All ic ould find on search was this

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=16272&highlight=knock+safc

Dan

rayman75

sometimes from cold mine peaks at about 60-70, then once running it doesnt creap past 20-27.

but 200 $hiiiiit thats not good, doesnt seem like its been set up properly

i got set up by APT tuner in norwich.

Danny S R

:cry: Not what i wanted to hear but least i noticed ill have another go at setting it up then get my Mrs to watch it in the passenger seat :lol:

antgtir

I had exactly this problem about 3 weeks ago lol.

Mine originally when on the setting mode read approx 40-50, then when i went onto the monitor it showed i was getting around the 20 mark.

I was a bit worried even with this number. I then had a trip to do for work which entailed me driving to Chesterfield from Manchester which takes approx 1.5 hours over the tops, so the car was extremely hot. I thought before i turn the engine off ill redo the knock set and see what readings i get in the set mode, this to my supprise gave me a reading of approx 150, shit i thought, but then i returned back to the monitor mode and loan behold the readings where down to a max of 4 and as soon as i touch my throttle it plumits to 0. This is due to a factor being added to the setup mode giving you an actual (guide) value for the knock in monitor mode.

So my advice is, run the car (take it for a long hour drive if poss) and redo the knock setting whilst stationary and obtaining the rev values as indicated, your knock setting mode should read around the 150 mark, then in the monitor mode reads approx 4 and 0 when blipping the throttle.

Goodluck matey,

Ant. :wink:

Danny S R

Hey ant,

Did this last night granted i didnt take it out for a hour drive but it was hot when i set it up as it had just been run pretty hard, now i set it when it was at 70 degrees then had a run and it peaked at 39, set it when the temp needle was at about 85 degrees then it peaked at 70 then did it when the temp was at about 100 degress and it then peaked at 88 (all on monitor mode), so what do i do from that :shock: :lol: Gonna ring john nobles today so talk to the bloke that mapped it i think!

BUT no more readings above 100 so im positive it read that when the engine was turned off. :D

Thanks again

Dan

PS: my first victim of 1.3 bar........my brake pads :lol: :lol:

antgtir

What was the reading in the setup mode??

If the SAFC2 has only just been setup and you have only just turned up the boost to 1.3bar then i would take it back to the guy that set it up and mapped it.

Did this guy fit and map both SAFC2 and boost controller (if electronic)??

Doesn't sound right mate imo so i would defo take it back and see what this guy has to say, better to be safe than sorry.

Ant.

P.s. Like you say at least its not peaked over the 100 lol, although i wouldn't rest until i had a reasonable answer for this, goodluck.

radiobar

hi !

i had also some probs with the safc and knocking display.
but after a while and some re-setup is was ok..

now i installed the powefc and it shows complete different
readings. since the powerfc is designed for gti-r the safc
seems very inaccurate.
it shows always to much !

bye.

Danny S R

Thanks for the replies boys its back on the rollers 4th Feb to check it all out at John Nobles after a quick call to em, (how much that'll cost i dont know :cry: )

Anyway im gonna keep an eye on it til then ill post on monday to let you know what it read on my 30 mile trip to the nearest shell garage :lol:

Cheers

Dan

antgtir

Danny S R said:
Thanks for the replies boys its back on the rollers 4th Feb to check it all out at John Nobles after a quick call to em, (how much that'll cost i dont know :cry: )

Anyway im gonna keep an eye on it til then ill post on monday to let you know what it read on my 30 mile trip to the nearest shell garage :lol:

Cheers

Dan
Do the re set when you get back home after the 60mile trip however i would try a much longer trip in order to eliminate the possibility of it just not being hot enough when set up.

radiobar: In the user manual you get with the SAFC2 it does state that the readings shown on the unit are only as a guide as it doesn't pick the knock up exactly, so you have to take these readings with a pinch of salt, could be more could be less but i would say it isn't to far off.

Ant.

Simmo

Strange you guys get such high readings on the SAFC2, mine sits at 0 for normal driving and cold idling and only ever goes to 6-10 when very very hot.

Danny S R

Mine does that when i set it up but will peak at about 20 - 30, which is fibe, goes back in saturday so ill let everyone know. :?:

antgtir

Simmo said:
Strange you guys get such high readings on the SAFC2, mine sits at 0 for normal driving and cold idling and only ever goes to 6-10 when very very hot.
Same as mine matey, my problem was that i hadn't set the knock readings when the car was very very hot :wink:

Ant.

P.s. Good luck Danny SR

Danny S R

Well, went to John Nobles saturday, Darren the bloke who dyno'd it and set up SAFC said that it was not detting when he had it on the det muffs so we needed to be lookin at the knock sensor or the way the SAFC was set up to read knock.

He retarded the timing by 2 degrees so there was definately no det and sent me out on a run, thinking behind it was that if the knock sensor was fooked that it would still give high readings even when there was little det. Anyway no high readings and after a trip bout 7-10 miles out of chesterfield me and Donpulsar AKA Steve re set the knock readings on the SAFC while it was hot, blasted back and it never went above 13 :lol: So was agreed that was all set up ok and maybe was way SAFC was set to read knock, after all that :lol:

One thing he did say was to calibrate the knock readings while the engine was under load but me and Steve found this altered the numbers little from when it was in neutral, anyway all sorted!

Big thanks to Steve for help on the day and advice when things get a little over my head, even tho im almost 7 foot tall :lol: :wink: :lol:

Dan Dan 1.3 bar Man :D

Dooie Pop Pop

did he advance the timing again? did he tell you how much advance it was running before? did he not wave a wide band lamda sensor at it?

glad your happy with it Dan :D