Knock Knock, whers the bangin comin from?

LeeB

theres a strange knocking sound that occurs when i go over speed bumps or when the road gets a bit rough, it seems to come from right under my right foot, but nothing seems loose underneath, could it be the bushes are shot, loose mounts? the cars only done 26k, any ideas?

does anyone one know where i can get a fuel cap? are they generic nissan ones or specific for the pulsar?

Shaun

Check to see if your exhaust is catching on your front ARB.And dont go to Nissan for a fuel cap as they are £30.........................yes thats £30 for a plastic fuel filler cap.

Garef

You can get replacement fuel caps from ebay, there like ten quid, and they also lock which is a handy mod, cheers.

rx jamie

just go to a scrappy for one. i noticed at the petrol station the otherday that pulsar caps are the same as the old square micra ones lol

O

odie

Hi mate, did you end up figuring out what this was, as I get exactly the same thing and I'm just hoping its something easy!

LeeB

Brake prob sorted

yes mate i found out the hard way! was driving back home from showin my bro my new motor, which id bin blasting up and down the motor way and down the lanes near his house when out of the blue there was a big thud and the car started to pull the left, i thought it was a puncture straight away, before i could pull over to have have a look the car locked solid doin about 40! managed to steer it near the kerb where i got out and to my surprise all 4 tyres were still inflated:der:

so i thought one of the diffs could have locked, i jacked it up and lo and behold it hit me right in the face, literally, the front drivers side calliper had come off and the abs had kicked in sensing a problem, i was gob smacked!

2 bolts and £1.25 later its back on the road good as new, the bangin was the calliper working loose over a week the previous owner fitted new brake pads all round and i suspect he either didnt tighten the bolts up tight enough or he only put 1 back in cause thats all i could find at the scene. the stupid mo fo that had it before me fancied himself as a bit if a diy tuner cause theres some other suspect pieces of handy work that need sorting before i can post my pics. not long now...........

O

odie

Glad your problem is sorted now LeeB. Bit of a harsh way to find out, but at least it's all fixed!
I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I figure that since I have the same symptoms, but different issue, it might be helpful to others who are having this same occurance!
I took the wheel off mine to check the brakes etc but found nothing wrong with them, though I did notice that the boots on the ball joints were torn. I took it to the mechanic yesterday to let him take a look and he said that there is a fair bit of movement in the ball joint on the drivers side - not so much on the passenger side - which may be causing this noise. He should be ordering new joints today, so next Monday they will be fitted and I'll let you all know if that was the problem for me!

O

odie

Okay, so I replaced the ball joints and the noise was still there. Turns out (after getting under it and kicking just about everything that I could to try and move stuff) that it was my exhaust hitting my sway bar. The joys of having a home made 3" system. Going to go to an exhaust place this week to see if they can fix this issue.
Just something else for anyone else who has had this problem to check.

Owen.

youngsyp

odie said:
Okay, so I replaced the ball joints and the noise was still there. Turns out (after getting under it and kicking just about everything that I could to try and move stuff) that it was my exhaust hitting my sway bar. The joys of having a home made 3" system. Going to go to an exhaust place this week to see if they can fix this issue.
Just something else for anyone else who has had this problem to check.

Owen.
Polyurethane exhaust mounts might help as they'll stop the exhaust moving around so much ?!

O

odie

youngsyp said:
Polyurethane exhaust mounts might help as they'll stop the exhaust moving around so much ?!
Okay, just an update. It actually looks like my engine has been dropping in the engine bay when it heats up - I dare say the engine mounts are on their way out - and that's why the exhaust has been hitting the bar. For a temporary measure until I get new mounts, I've made some spacers to put between the underbody of the car and the swaybar to drop it by about half an inch to give the exhaust plenty of clearance. It's worked pretty well and surprisingly enough, reduced body roll a fraction.