Jacking for engine removal...

C

cybermorph

Hi, the day has come where my 'reliable' pulsar became un-reliable and blew up on me. So i am now faced with an engine strip. Im not too concerned about the engine strip as i am a Motorcycle Technician ( ok... motorcycle mechanic ) and have rebuilt many bike motors. But the engine removal i am hoping looks worse than it is???! First things first, how am i best to jack and support the car off the ground for engine removal? Also, once the engine is removed is there anything i should replace that i would find difficult to with engine in place? if you get what i mean? im knackered, :yawn:

Mr GTiR

I take it you not using a ramp then?

If not put the axle stands under the lower wish bone arms. I use the front cross member (tubular bar at the front of the engine) for jacking up the car. You'll find a metal square about 2" big, just use a thick piece of wood on the jack.

Once the engine is out i would replace all your water hoses as they have a habbit of going brittle over the years and they tend to leak! Also, get your starter motor out and get it reconditioned as the bushes and contacts will have signs of wear. Unless you have a problem with your DET sensor just leave it.

Something else to look at is removing all the intercooler brackets if you have a front mount. If not ignor this bit.

This is the bracket in question:
http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1228&c=50

Look how much more room you have once it's removed:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v326/andychan/Rebuild/?action=view&current=Enginebuild041.jpg

Engine removal guide can be found here:
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44969

Last edited:
C

cybermorph

Hey thanks for that... looking on the forum i see that some people seem to lift the front of the car up with engine all unbolted and then drag the engine out from underneath? Is this easier than just lifting the engine out with a hoist?

Mr GTiR

cybermorph said:
Hey thanks for that... looking on the forum i see that some people seem to lift the front of the car up with engine all unbolted and then drag the engine out from underneath? Is this easier than just lifting the engine out with a hoist?
Unless you plan on splitting the engine while in situ it can only come out one way.....:lol:

Drop the engine either onto a pallet or a big piece of wood. Lift the front end of the engine up and drag out from under the car. NEVER EVER drag an engine with nothing underneath it unless you want to damage your sump! I have some wooden boards with castor wheels on them so it's just a case of wheeling it out.

C

cybermorph

haha, no i realise that stripping motor with engine out is the best option, just wasnt too sure of the best way to get motor out. im sure ill have other questions... so watch this space :-D

Mr GTiR

Also, if you have had problems with eratic idle in the past now would be a good time to take off the idle control valve and give it a good clean.

C

cybermorph

What is the best way to deal with the air con when removing engine? just let all the gas out and remove the compressor and pipes? Also how do you unbolt all the inlet manifold? Cant get to the bolts at the back.
Thanks....

steven_c

cybermorph said:
What is the best way to deal with the air con when removing engine? just let all the gas out and remove the compressor and pipes?/QUOTE]

Quality if you did that advised run for the hills.. or your not having kids :)

P

pulsarboby

steven_c said:
cybermorph said:
What is the best way to deal with the air con when removing engine? just let all the gas out and remove the compressor and pipes?/QUOTE]

Quality if you did that advised run for the hills.. or your not having kids :)

thats the way i do it:lol: and ive got a fine tribe of bambino's, however they all have 3 of everything:lol:

just let the gas out slowly as its under a lot of pressure, loosen one of the unions untill you hear the gas leaking, then leave it untill its empty then unscrew the pipes completely.

A

ard1ey

Unbolting the inlet manifold - buy a 12mm ratchet spanner from Halfords and undo them from above.

Dislocating your wrists helps as well :)

MORF114

just remember that the aircon gas is freon gas. and if you breath it in it will kill you because it is so cold it will cause asphyxiation.:thumbsup: and is not so good to the ozone.