its all about timing

D

DarthSidious

hi im new here.

im looking to up the boost on my gtir to 1 bar with a bleed valve. i know some ppl dont like them, but my funds wont stretch to a boost controller atm. id simply set it up an leave it alone.
i already know this is a relatively safe boost level

my car has the following mods

mongoose exhaust with decat
blitz sus filter
blitz boost guage

the fuel pump is standard but was replaced a few yrs ago so i know its a good one.

basically what i want to know is this.
from what i can gather the timing will need to be adjusted but is there a recognised mark for me to set if for 1 bar mods or do i need to take it to a rolling road for them to do it ?

ps i did do a search and found threads relating to running 1 bar, but couldnt find the info on the timing

Last edited by a moderator:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You will be fine at 1 bar with a new standard fuel pump. Just make sure the static timing is set to 20 degrees advanced and only use Optimax.

Do you know how to set the static base timing ??

Steve

CruiseGTi-R

Welcome mate.

Get a gated bleed valve / MBC. See the powertec ones on ebay. They have a little ball and spring which only bleeds once a set boost is reached. They're muuuuch better than normal bleed valves.

As steve says above, and check things are healthy given car's age. Fuel filter worth replacing, get right plugs etc.

CruiseGTi-R said:
Get a gated bleed valve / MBC. See the powertec ones on ebay. They have a little ball and spring which only bleeds once a set boost is reached. They're muuuuch better than normal bleed valves
Also known as a relief valve. I can vouch for the above as I had one on a GT4 for a little while. The spool up is much quicker compared to a bleed valve.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I got a Dawes Device You can buy if you haven't already got something. PM me if interested.

Steve

D

DarthSidious

not a fan of optimax as it degrades and isnt actually officially rated as a super unleaded fuel. i much prefer BP or Esso SUL

cheers for the offer steve, but i have a bleed valve already.
yes i can setup the static timing but when my cousin had a pulsar a few yrs ago i remember he had the timing setup on the rollers, when i asked him about that a few weeks ago he told me unlike some cars the gtir needs its timing setup carefully and that the ecu wont adjust it for extra boost. He also said the standard timing setting likely wont cope with 1 bar and the car may det its head off.

paz

You won't be a fan of BP once you start putting it in your pulsar, trust us on this :lol:

paz

D

DarthSidious

paz said:
You won't be a fan of BP once you start putting it in your pulsar, trust us on this :lol:

paz
whys that paz ?
my friends all swear by Esso an BP an none of them rate opticrap as they call it.

i asked my cousin again today an he said the following

"its proven that optimax degrades, leave it in ur tank or if its not fresh in at the petrol station it loses octane all the way down to its 95ron base. thats why you should never get a car setup on it - thats why its british standards rating number is that of regular unleaded not super"

reading up on various forums and net searches confirmed the above, including a few posts by chemists an ppl in the fuel industry.

anyway as regards my original question, your saying that 20 degrees should be ok and i dont need to get the car setup on a rolling road ?
only checking as thats totally against what used to be advised on the gtir mailing list when cousin had his pulsar.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbodaily

its a load of bollox people saying optimax is better than say bp etc, ive tried all the super unleadeds and i havent noticed any differnce between them.

G

garyRR

sorry to hijack the thread but i use tesco 99 ron & its cool ,i am std apart from a zorst & 75i kit :)

GtiR`BoD

i find it hard to believe theres "that" much of a difference tbh, maybe notice slightly in very fine/high tuned engines tried both in various cars cant tell any diff maybe the quality of our bp is better in coventry! :tea:

F

Fusion Ed

My mapping experience has taught me that shell is similar to tesco, but both better than BP.

azboy

optimax is better and ive seen two independant test which also prove it optimax was the best then bp ultimate then tescos 99 ron even though tescos has the highest octain rating its not just the octain raiting which counts thers other factors too u wont notice any difference in fuels as pulsars dont advance the ignition on there own like modern cars do they advance till they detect det then retard then advance then retard so there always running the best they can.

azboy

ud only notice the diff if u manually advance the ignition with diff fuels with the same air temp, as hotter days will knock easyer amd rainydays will knock (det) with a much more advance ie 19 when hot and 22 when cold and very damp.

F

Fusion Ed

azboy said:
pulsars dont advance the ignition on there own like modern cars do, they advance till they detect det then retard then advance then retard so there always running the best they can.
Yes they do which is why when the det sensor fails performance and fuel economy take a noticable hit.