Intermitent (!) Warning Light

N

NismoDaveGTIR

Hi ive just bought my R on monday and tonight ive noticed the handbrake warning light flickers when going round corners or on quite heavy acceleration, (sometimes stops on for a few seconds but mostly flickering) could this just be a dodgy switch / connection? (if so does anyone know where is it located to have a fiddle) or could the (!) light mean somthing else other than the handbrake is on? Cheers in advance, oh and hello, im new this is my first post! :-D

stumo

either your handbrake isn't all the way down OR (more likely) the brake fluid level is low and needs topping up.

O

Odin

NismoDaveGTIR said:
Hi ive just bought my R on monday and tonight ive noticed the handbrake warning light flickers when going round corners or on quite heavy acceleration, (sometimes stops on for a few seconds but mostly flickering) could this just be a dodgy switch / connection? (if so does anyone know where is it located to have a fiddle) or could the (!) light mean somthing else other than the handbrake is on? Cheers in advance, oh and hello, im new this is my first post! :-D

Check your brake fluid level fella ;-) .

Rob

O

Odin

stumo said:
either your handbrake isn't all the way down OR (more likely) the brake fluid level is low and needs topping up.

Beat me to it old man :doh: .

Rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd go for the low fluid, which also probably indicates your pads are worn.
It could be a leak, but I think you'd know by now if it was.

The switch, which does fail (mine went a few years back) is under the handbrake lever, it cost me about £10 at the time.

N

NismoDaveGTIR

Cheers for the quick replies! havent noticed any leaking thankfully will check the brake fluid tommorrow and top it up if needs be, How fun are GTIR's! gotta love em, even with flickering warning lights! Just got in from a long blast its cost me about 50 quids worth of Tesco 99 Ron since monday ;-)

Jonesy

as said above, my handbrake switch is a bit dodgey sticks on sometimes just have to pull the handbrake on and off slightly and it goes off, so it could be this, if your brake fluid level is ok.

N

NismoDaveGTIR

ive checked the brake fluid level and its bang on the full marker. been out in it again tonight and the (!) light is now perminently on regardless of if the handbrake is engaged / disengaged so im presuming its the switch that is FUBAR any idea where you can get these from does it have to be off an R or can i go down the scrappy and get one off a normal hatchback? going to check the connections first hope its not a bum to get to :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Definately the switch then.
When mine first started doing it, I was able to adjust it slightly to sort it. Eventually I had to change it tho. It only cost abit over £10 from Nissan.
Take the cover off the hand brake, it's under the front of the handle.

vizi0n

mine does the exact same thing, and I've tested my switch and its good. even by grounding the wire that goes to the e-brake switch directly it wont turn off. I cant really tell you whats going on but I'd love to hear your story if you finally managed to get rid of it! Mine started doing so since its been getting colder outside

CanadianR

frank, is your brake fluid topped up? I had the same problem as it got colder, turned out the brake fluid was low.

Question: can you have a level that's too high in the resorvoir?

Jonesy

CanadianR said:
frank, is your brake fluid topped up? I had the same problem as it got colder, turned out the brake fluid was low.

Question: can you have a level that's too high in the resorvoir?
It wont bring up a warning light, but i dont think you want to fill it above the max to allow for expansion

vizi0n

Actually, last time I had checked it was filled above the half line, now its at LOW .. filled it up and looks good! I don't understand where that fluid went though! I didnt know the brake fluid reservoir was linked to that light too because I didnt see any wires running from it (unlike my Integra that had it in the cap)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
vizi0n said:
Actually, last time I had checked it was filled above the half line, now its at LOW .. filled it up and looks good! I don't understand where that fluid went though!

Like I said above, worn pads (if you don't have a leak) Pads start out realy thick with the pistons all the way in and the reservoir full. As the pad wear, the brake pistons slowly start moving out of the cylinders on a full time basis, this lowers the fluid in the cylinder as it's now sat in the cylinder behind the piston. If you have all 4 corners worn, all the pistons will be out of the cylinders enough to drop the level in the reservoir to low or there abouts.

vizi0n

Fast Guy said:
Like I said above, worn pads (if you don't have a leak) Pads start out realy thick with the pistons all the way in and the reservoir full. As the pad wear, the brake pistons slowly start moving out of the cylinders on a full time basis, this lowers the fluid in the cylinder as it's now sat in the cylinder behind the piston. If you have all 4 corners worn, all the pistons will be out of the cylinders enough to drop the level in the reservoir to low or there abouts.
More stuff on this winter's list ... last year was about 2500$ ... seems like this year will be about 1200$ + engine rebuild after winter .. ouch!

N

NismoDaveGTIR

have sorted this problem out now took the facias around the handbrake off, saw the switch had dislodged itself somehow readjusted it and its all working. jobs a gud un 8) :thumbsup:

N

NismoDaveGTIR

vizi0n said:
mine does the exact same thing, and I've tested my switch and its good. even by grounding the wire that goes to the e-brake switch directly it wont turn off. I cant really tell you whats going on but I'd love to hear your story if you finally managed to get rid of it! Mine started doing so since its been getting colder outside
it could be the sensor which activates the (!) light when the brake fluid is low thats faulty hence giving a low brake fluid warning when its acctually full if youve tested the switch and no cable faults etc, maybe worth checking?