Instruction manual for HKS sequential BOV

RU55 GTR

Hi,

I bought my Pulsar with an HKS sequential BOV on it, but have no paperwork on it. Does anybody have any or access to some, or can somebody please tell me what the adjustable bolt is on the back? What does it do exactly and how to best set it?

I've been to the HKS website and the information there is for the new series and does not show the presence of this bolt.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help given!

Cheers :)

gtir_pimp

im sure the bolt adjusts how compressed the spring inside is. it pushes a plate the spring is pushed against, so if the bolt is screwed all the way in, the spring is more compact/tighter and when the bolts out more the spring is looser. i would of thought the tighter the spring the better but could be totally wrong. try it in and out and see if there is a difference. doubt you will notice any performance gains, just a bit of a different sound.

antgtir

Just adjusts how much pressure is required to open the valve, adjust to suit your own preferences really, although i wouldn't recommend having it really loose i.e. far out.

Ant.

RU55 GTR

Cheers for the help! Removed it from the system now, but still alot of noise!? I think it must just be the air rushing into the inlet-manifold that I can hear? The car is totally new to me & I haven't had the chance to sit in anyone elses, so maybe it's just how it sounds?

All the best! :)

red reading

Cheers for the help! Removed it from the system now, but still alot of noise!? I think it must just be the air rushing into the inlet-manifold that I can hear? The car is totally new to me & I haven't had the chance to sit in anyone elses, so maybe it's just how it sounds?

All the best! :)
what have you replaced it with?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Just adjusts how much pressure is required to open the valve, adjust to suit your own preferences really, although i wouldn't recommend having it really loose i.e. far out.

Ant.
Yes - I have a clicky.... the bolt is to adjust the vacuum at idle; don't be messing with it unless your idle is suffering due to a leaky SQV! The valve is opened by the vacuum, and if your car had more vaccum you need more spring pressure to keep it closed when you're not dumping.
It's not for ajusting the boost pressure. It's not for personal preference.

That's not the wastegate chattering... that's the turbo impellor stalling against the pressurised air trying to go backwards through it. The consensus is that this is a bad thing, but there are plenty of people who say that running no BOV makes no difference to their turbo life, and gives you better throttle response.

Last edited:

RU55 GTR

Yes - I have a clicky.... the bolt is to adjust the vacuum at idle; don't be messing with it unless your idle is suffering due to a leaky SQV! The valve is opened by the vacuum, and if your car had more vaccum you need more spring pressure to keep it closed when you're not dumping.
It's not for ajusting the boost pressure. It's not for personal preference.

That's not the wastegate chattering... that's the turbo impellor stalling against the pressurised air trying to go backwards through it. The consensus is that this is a bad thing, but there are plenty of people who say that running no BOV makes no difference to their turbo life, and gives you better throttle response.
Thanks for your response.

I've taken it out of the system and stripped it down. I've found that the spring has given-up, so sourcing replacement and will give it a shot.

I know it's the impellor stalling that makes the noise, it's just called waste-gate chatter. Thank you for clarifying that though.

All the best!