Inlet manifold tidy up

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I disgnosed a leak on my inlet manifold so thought I would tidy the whole thing up for ease of maintenance as it is a pig to take off and put back together again normally.

Picture from the rear only as you can't see much difference from the front with my pooh camera phone.

I'd previously had a local workshop weld up the dump valve hole so after I'd cut off all the pointless pipes left over from the emissions I'd removed I had them weld up the holes too. The holes on the front are normally blocked rubber caps but the caps kept firing off and getting lost :doh: I'm sure a couple of jubilee clips would have done the job but this is permenatly solved now with cutting and welding plus gives easier access to the nuts too.

The water heater pipe to the manifold was removed and bunged on the water side. This should keep the manifold a bit cooler in the future.

I got rid of the auto choke thing (can't remember the name) as I'd already maintained it once and I wasn't convinced it was working faultlessly.

After all the tidying, I just needed some air hose and to make the links which a visit to the hydraulics shop solved (After a month waiting for the hose :doh: )

Why bother though? Well the manifold leak has now gone so the perfectly mapped car is now too lean at idle and too rich on boost so there must have been a few hp wasted there too. I'm not heating my intake manifold anymore for emissions.

The best bit is I now have full access to all the nuts so it took no time to put the manifold back on or take it off again in the future.

The down side is I lost my auto choke so when you first start the car it fires up fine but then idles around 700rpm for a few minutes :shock: . It drives fine but the idle being so low at first is a bit wierd.

I wouldn't recommend it for the everyday owners but if in the future I need to change anything at the back of the engine I can remove the manifold in about 5 minutes rather than dropping the engine etc.

Weight saving one pointless pipe and bracket at a time :thumbsup:

Jim

Attachments

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Thanks Rob. I know I'm not the first to do this either

Yes but you're probably the first to do it on an actual working car :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
:shock:

you could be right thinking about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just heard from the garage it passed its MOT too so its an actual working car again :thumbsup:

Jon Olds

head off, what bits can I lose...

That funny square tin thing on the inaccessible side (back) of the inlet manifold is going. Looks like its manifold heating (water in and out), but its also got oil mist breather in it.

Also, the fuel pressure reg vac tapping comes of it! Not anymore it doesnt...

Anybody care to comment before I dig myself a big hole....

It was a pig to get the head off, with all this crap in the way. Not too bothered about tickover, as its a rallycar, but am slightly worried about the 'auto choke' references earlier in the thread. Is this referring to the idle stabilisation valve circuit?. ie the valve in parallel with the throttle butterfly?
Can i lose this also?

Any comments appreciated

O

Odin

Jon Olds said:
That funny square tin thing on the inaccessible side (back) of the inlet manifold is going. Looks like its manifold heating (water in and out), but its also got oil mist breather in it.

That does not have a water supply at all mate, It's the vacuum box that suppliers all the vac's including the servo ;-) , I've removed everything on mine, BUT I am running a Motec stand alone ECU that doesn't use any of it anyway ;-) .

I don't meant the vacuum box though, I just re read it lol, I meant all the idle cr@p.

Rob

Jon Olds

Thanks, the valve with the two plugs on controls the idle. Bypasses the throttle spindles. Why's it got two plugs? Anyway, I've blanked the two manifold runner lines and am going to use the plenum 14mm pipe to feed into the 10mm vacuum line directly for the servo, in non crushable pipe. Ive blanked both the 8mm water feed/returns. Going to tweek the throttle stop screw up 1/2 a turn or so, to get some butterfly airflow. 1mm gap?
Need to find a small bore feed upstream of the butterfly for the fuel press reg.
Anything I've missed anyone?