Inlet manifold - OMG!

Hi

For some stupid reason I decided to replace the vac pipes behind the inlet manifold yesterday, in my infinate wisdom decided to take the manifold off :shock: read a few threads on here of how hard it is but CAN be done.

Im about to throw the towel in, all I have left is two nuts, maybe bolts that I cant quite understand how the hell you get to them. Everything else is undone and mainfold is loose ready to be lifted off, grrrrrr

The pic below is from a previous thread started by creedy:

the very bottom part of the picture were a small water pipe enters, is it a warm start valve or something?, I cant get to the nuts/bolts that hold this on to the cylinder head, doing my swede in now!

When I had the engine out a few years back, I stupidly left the Y bracket on, cue the laughing :lol: ive undone it now and its loose round the back but I think its hindering the space in which I have to work...

Im at the point of just cutting the remaining pipes just to get it off, but I hate being defeated by it all!! Im replacing the coolant pipes anyway.....

Any help appreciated..

Gaz

Tried that but worked out I wouldnt be able to get some of the nuts off on the right hand side, will have a look tomorrow again, if not my DeWalt grinder will do the job :lol:

Is this why people end up modifying there tools to fit ?

Finally got it off before:

Had to cut the pipes that went to the part below:

What does this device do? I assuming its the warm start valve? if this wasnt functioning properly would this cause a high idle of 1500rpm? and also does this need to be bolted to the head? thinking of not doing so when assembling, making it easier to remove the head if needed in the future....

Looking on the samco website last night, trying to find the right hose kit for the back of the engine:

Sunny GTiR RNN14. TCS111/C-B Ancillary 4 £62.52
Sunny GTiR RNN14 TCS111/C-A Ancillary 7 £71.01

Which one do I need for the back of the manifold, as they dont show any pictures, im assuming its the 7 part one?

And my final question should I put this back in:

:lol:

Gaz

M

mynheers_a_pint

bin the Y bracket. You'll be thankful of it later on when you need to do something else.

Oh, and it's the 7 hose kit for the rear hoses. The 4 hose kit is for your heater matrix i believe. Might be worth doing those too, but personally, i think they're marginally easier to reach than the others. Someone might correct me though..!

ollydj

hey mate whilest the throttle bodys are off adjust your throttle stops, if these are slightly holding the butterflys open it will cause high idle. worked for me man!:thumbsup:

hey mate whilest the throttle bodys are off adjust your throttle stops, if these are slightly holding the butterflys open it will cause high idle. worked for me man!:thumbsup:
Cool, thanks for that, meant to ask before if I should do anything whilst I have the room to move!!

dont think im going to bolt the air regulator back on!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. If the warm start device is coked-up and leaking air through it will have the same effect as always having the throttles slightly open (same with the IAC valve).
You can probably just clean it out with some carbie cleaner (or failing that a bit of acetone), and you might find it starts working again.

ollydj

im sure thats something to do with the air con, it lifts the idle when the air con is on. id check your pcv in your rocker cover or just do away with it theyre a bit of a menace too for high idle. is your car suffering with high idle?

im sure thats something to do with the air con, it lifts the idle when the air con is on. id check your pcv in your rocker cover or just do away with it theyre a bit of a menace too for high idle. is your car suffering with high idle?

Ive got a blank plug on order from Steve, to get rid of all that crappy pipe work, ive noticed a few vac pipes that are in poor quality, loads of cracking going on :shock:

Think I will use the 4 points off the throttle bodies to operate the Dump Valve....

Animaldaz

I would get both kits, the 7 piece kit is a mixture of coolant hoses and the 4 piece kit includes 2 heater hoses and 2 hoses for the oil cooler.
The air regulator conrols how much air goes into the engine when the throttle is shut so it will give idle problems if it's faulty.

ollydj

i did away with all that too, i also did away with that breather that goes into the turbo inlet pipe from the rocker cover. put it straight into an oil catch can and blanked the inlet pipe off. my car idles mint at 850-900rpm all day long!

I would get both kits, the 7 piece kit is a mixture of coolant hoses and the 4 piece kit includes 2 heater hoses and 2 hoses for the oil cooler.
The air regulator conrols how much air goes into the engine when the throttle is shut so it will give idle problems if it's faulty.
Cool two kits it is, and a full strip down :)

i did away with all that too, i also did away with that breather that goes into the turbo inlet pipe from the rocker cover. put it straight into an oil catch can and blanked the inlet pipe off. my car idles mint at 850-900rpm all day long!
Think I will do that, noticed when I took the inlet pipe off there was a film of black oily residue in it.....

nex

im glad im not the only person who turned to a knife and cut pipes, i though it was just me being shit......I also have extended the wires on the purple, brown and blue plugs to make refitting and removal easier, couple inches extra makes the world of difference (que the jokes) lol.

im glad im not the only person who turned to a knife and cut pipes, i though it was just me being shit......I also have extended the wires on the purple, brown and blue plugs to make refitting and removal easier, couple inches extra makes the world of difference (que the jokes) lol.

That's the problem with old pipes there's no give in them, there's no way I could have got them off without cutting them. They were totally solid, And the clip was facing the wrong way, sono way I could get to it. Good idea extending the wires a few inches...

Replace all the plenom gaskets mate as well while it's out:)
I am mate, replacing everything on there, replaced the plenum gasket not long ago as well, might make one out of cardboard :lol:

my old man used to do that all the time when he worked for Ford, used them thin cardboard wallet forders :lol: