Incredibly Sluggish Starting

A

Az

Since it's got colder over the last couple of weeks and since I had a new fuel pump fitted in the morning she's very strange starting.

The tick is very sluggish, almost like it's dea, but it does fire and start. Bit concerned that if I get a lift into work and don't start it for a few days that it won't start....

Battery seems fine as windows and central locking work fine, just starting is very sluggish.

My first thought was battery, not being able to cope with the load to turn it over. What else could it potentially be?

A

Anonymous

It will be the battery, sounds like it's on it's way out. If it's old the cold weather normally kills them off. Pop a new one in, Part-co Nissan Micra battery only costs £28 and does the job fine.

A

Az

Have got one today and will put it on tomorrow when I can see.

Will changing the battery much any of the electronics up at all? My AVCR, alarm or ECU settings?

Also I had a compression test done the other day and the result was 120 PSI +. I don't think this is too good. Possible head gasket on the way out?

A

Az

Got new battery, popped it in and fired straight away 8) Gonna keep my eye on it and make sure it charges properly. Hopefully problem solved :) I was bit concerned bout my settings, but on my AVCR it said off, so I changed it to Setting B (what I had before) and all settings are there, so no problems :) Seemed to idle / run ok.

Gonna have it all setup properly in January when I have my MOT. Still need to get my horn to work though, no one can seem to fix it :shock: :lol:

What do you guys reckon bout the compression results? I think it should be around 150-160 PSI :cry: There is quite a lot of moisture coming out of my exhaust when I start it, but it does seem to go away, so maybe it's just the weather / low temperature. Smoke is clear, not blue or dark.

Anyway, cheers Ben :wink:

A

Anonymous

You should always do a compression test on a hot engine with the throttle wide open or else you won't get a proper result. If all cylinders are within a few psi of each other then everything is fine.