If it's the worst case and the steering rack is gone....

Joni

Ok the car is now in the shop and they are investigating the "loose" on the steering tomorrow. From what i have seen around the nat on some makes, the whole steering rack is going to be an expensive trip! How is it on these cars? are they even available and are used intems any good really? I wouldn't want to think that it's that....but hey anything is possible.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought they were reasonably sturdy; I slammed my R into a curb whilst in a turn (probably not full-lock), took a chunk out of the alloy, sheared a wheel stud and bent the wishbone so much that the wheel was kissing the arch.
New wishbone on, the alignment sorted, and she's back to normal. - So it seems like it can take a bit of punishing.
I could see that the bushes might go on them and cause them to shift, but new bushes are cheaper than a new rack.

There are a couple of people with them for sale at the moment, I'm sure someone else was after one.

P

pulsarboby

if the racks knackered then i have very good ones in stock joni

Joni

ah yes forgot about that lol

oh no people. I imported this one from UK with my friends help who lives there (UK citizen) 8)

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j235/CK993/GTi-R/Nikon/

I bet someone somewhere will recognize that valve cover. I bought and imported that car like a month back or so.

I will get some results from the garage tomorrow and then will see what happens. i found that there were those parts available at ebay (steering rack end and track rod end) and they were like 35 and 29 pounds plus postage, so not too bad. To be honest, those are the only ones i have found anywhere. I bet the finnish Nissan won't help me as they don't wanna support these cars too much as they were never sold here.

astarozna

just get the gti or any sunny rack and wsop it, that's what i did on mine if you going to convert it to lhd or if you need rhd rack i might have it somewhere in garage bin.

Last edited:

Joni

just get the gti or any sunny rack and wsop it, that's what i did on mine if you going to convert it to lhd or if you need rhd rack i might have it somewhere in garage bin.

Naaah won't swap to lhd.....EVER 8)

I heard that the N14 GTI has the same rack, but no problems...i have managed to find one from Bobby allready so the situation is getting better

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What does it cost to get a rocker cover painted up like that?
For some reason I really want one of those rising-sun paint jobs... I was thinking of buying a second-hand rocker cover and having a go myself.

I'm not sure the wife is going to let me go through with this one though... glad to hear you've got that rack sorted Joni! - I was driving in Finland at Christmas time, and I'm not sure I'd want to be on some of those roads in a RHD car... but I did go from Helsinki to Levi and back (and narrowly avoided the reindeer on the roads each way). I wanted to take my R, but it would have cost more than the flights anyway.