Idle speed control valve

PulsarLee

Hi guys,

I recently damaged the idle speed control valve connections whilst removing the head of my R for the first time. (just didnt see the wiring when lifting the head :doh:. Ive tried to glue the spade connections back in and splice the wires etc but feel that this is not working. even though the car starts first time and does tick over etc but just has a very low tick over when cold etc. Ive decided to fit a replacement valve when i get an afternoon, however, could anyone advise if driving the car with a potentially knackered valve, would this have any major effects on anything as it dosent seen to affect the running of the car in general?

Gutted as its not at all like me to be ham fisted and taken soo much care with the rebuild

Any thoughts guys.

cheers,

Lee

PulsarLee

Thanks Stumo,

is the valve and wiring purely related to the idle mixture / speed and not related to the main fueling of the car?

cheers,
Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's just like a choke really; it opens when the engine is cold to let more air into the manifold and therefore increase the idle revs. The mixture is controlled by the lambda sensor at idle, so that's not an issue.