I got a water leak under my inlet manifold

A

Anonymous

Hi... Drove my R home the other night, (quite hard) once i had stopped i had a load of steam coming out of my drivers side vent. I've looked and looked and can't see (even with a mirror) where it is coming from. It's not the water pump or anything else you can see, it's under the inlet manifold. I hope it isn't a head gasket :cry:
I'm not sure though if there are any inlet or outlet pipes going in or out of that area as things are sooooooo close, it's hard to see anything.

Hopefully thanks in advance...

J

Jamz

Yup, there are water pipes over that side on the engine. Whip it out (the engine) and have a proper look.

B

Brett G

Whip it out :shock: :shock: :shock: Is it really that simple???

A

Anonymous

Ohhh...... Hang on a tick........

Ok, tis out... Ooops, dropped it... dohhh it's back in again... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan_GTiR

Had a similar sort of problem with mine.

Couldn't figure out where it was from. :? It turned out to be a fitting on the back of the head that has 2 sensors in it. Both bolts where loose that fasten it o the head.

Have a look at this picture, the fitting is above the water pump housing with the black lead and plug coming out of it.

It's an absolute TWAT :evil: to get to mind, had to go from underneath, best if car is on a lift or over a pit.

Hope this helps.

Dan. :)

J

jiw

looks to me as if you could get to it by following a guide out of the how to section named det sensor (obviously without removing the det sensor) think it was wrote by GINGA.

Its gotta be worth a try, jeff.

Mr GTiR

yep if it's one of the 2 pipes under the inlet then it's an engine out job cos they are a twat to get to!!

For the sake of £20 od quid i'm changing mine when the engine comes out again :wink:

A

Anonymous

Well i have found it to be a pipe that is found behind the manifold thank Chr**t. :D
Now the only worry is if it does happen to be a engine out job. :cry:

Websnowbo

Na, once you get all the crap outa the way there is loads of room at the gearbox end.

You can even get to the starter once all the pipes are removed so a water pipe aint a problem.

I had a water pipe go on me in the same area, the japanese use those spring type clip's instead of Jubilee (Spelling?) clips and tend to feck the pipes over time. Took me ages to find out which pipe it was as the water was coming out the bottom of the pipe near the clip.

herbie

There was a thread a while back called "damned water pipes". Check it out... :lol:
I had my pipes changed a few months ago, it was not an easy job but the engine does not have to come out. If I remember right, there is also pictures incuded. :wink:

GINGA

You can get to everything on the back of the engine with the downpipe, oil filter and Y shaped bracket (if fitted) removed no need to remove the engine :wink:

G

GartracS2

be careful not to kink the pipe on the water pump housing. And yes it is a bastard. Try changing one on the car with engine in.

A

Anonymous

I now feel very very stupid not trying it myself. It is the main (big) hose, that goes from the water pump to the thermostat.
A day!! To fit a hose? Now that can only be a Jap car!!
The car is obviously in the garage now; i've not had a chance to look for myself, but, i sounds like a right BaS*a*D

The chap that is actually doing the job, i spoke to (Well actually, i passed him the gaskets for the inlet reassembly which would explain the response.) said "Oh, Great, I was sooo' looking forward to finishing that".
Now that sounded a little sarcastic to me.

Moral of the story......
If you have water p*s*ing out of the back of the engine...... It probably isn't a headgasket, cracked block or head.

The bad news is that it is probably a split hose that only costs £5.00

But in labour (estimated bill that i will put the actual cost on the end of this thread) £400 to fit

£400 to fit a hose :cry:

ex-gtir

hope you are haveing a laugh at £400 as that is a total ripe off
i do clutchs for £250 where i take the whole engine and box out and put it all back in 1 day £400 a day that good wages if you can get away with it

A

Anonymous

The actual bill was £291 which didn't include the hose, water wetter or anti-freeze as i supplied my own. It's not £400 but, my lord, it's a lot of cash. I'm not sure that they aren't shower raping me but how can you tell!!

Bang goes my ITC :( but i have my Defi BF gauge to fit at last :D

How much do you charge an hour labour then ex-gtir? Are you a garage or work from home?