How to replace centre gauges with 52mm types (detailed)

danr

someone wanna edit the write up, and change the oil pressure thread, where it says its definitely 1/8 NPT to 1/8 BSPT (Tapered)?
might save some confusions!

this
Make sure the new oil pressure sensor has a 1/8th NPT thread as that is what the original GTiR item is! This way, a direct replacement is easy. Plus, find a boost hose in your engine bay which you can insert a T-piece into to read the engine's vacuum AND boost pressure. For example, if you have an aftermarket dump valve, the hose leading to this is perfectly acceptable.

to
Make sure the new oil pressure sensor has a 1/8th BSPT (Tapered) thread as that is what the original GTiR item is! This way, a direct replacement is easy (OR purchase a 1/8 BSPT female to 1/8 NPT female adaptor, or failing that purchase a remote braided line kit, like the Subura remote oil pressure switch kits widely available).
Plus, find a boost hose in your engine bay which you can insert a T-piece into to read the engine's vacuum AND boost pressure. For example, if you have an aftermarket dump valve, the hose leading to this is perfectly acceptable.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand, but if you're sure that's right then I'll make the edit.

It does say "1/8th NPT is definitely the right thread to use.", but as Carl agrees with you I've made the correction.

danr

sorry this needs changing too lol
Step 9:

Now the new oil pressure sensor needs to be installed. Even though my sensor had a 1/8th NPT thread, I found it quite difficult to screw into the corresponding hole. The best option seemed to be to screw it in a little, screw it back out, then screw it back in a little more. Eventually the sensor was fully screwed in. Perhaps the difficulty was caused by the new sensor thread, however 1/8th NPT is definitely the correct thread to use!

to maybe:
Step 9:

Now the new oil pressure sensor needs to be installed. Note if the sensor is earthed via thread, do not use teflon/PTFE tape as this will inhibit earthing.

CanadianR

here's a bit of info: I emailed the LMA group and got a reply for them. I don't know what shipping costs to the rest of the world, but £17.29 for shipping alone was enough to make me search somewhere else for the fitting.

Anyways, I found one on ebay, it is here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sump-Plug-Adapter-M12-1-25-1-8-NPT-120-/280639004790

A note on danr's point on the teflon tape inhibiting earthing - leave a few threads on the sensor bare (at the front of the sensor) so that the sensor can still ground out, but the teflon tape will still do its job.

watoga

Step 9 has now been modified to remove the mention of 1/8 NPT threads, replacing with 1/8 BSPT.

Apologies for the confusion. If it's any consolation, my 1/8 NPT sensor hasn't leaked in nearly 4 years, but I do appreciate the benefit of having accurate information.

Cheers,
Dave