Hot starting

C

cybermorph

I am having trouble with starting my car when it is hot. The only way i can get it to start is to spray intact cleaner down the air filter then crank the car with the throttle wide open, and eventually it will start up. You can hold an idle on the throttle but but it will die as soon as you take your foot off. I have replaced the coolant sensors with known good ones and have changed the leads and plugs for new. This is really getting on my nerves now, i just want the bladdy car running properly. I am now wondering if it is valve clearances (tight)? But the engine runs fine when hot until i turn it off and 'try' restarting it. Also when i do start it on the intake cleaner it will run for aslong as you want on the throttle but smells VERY rich. So cant be fuel surely? unless it just wont inject fuel while cranking? I do however get a voltage pulse when i crank the car at the injectors.
Please Help guys / girls? :sad:

P

pulsarboby

sounds to me as though car is running far to rich and flooding!
if i were you i would do a fault code check on it to see if you have any faults occuring with any of the other sensors, could possibly be the fast idle (cold start device) playing up. or possibly worn injectors or very badly mapped ecu!

C

cybermorph

Is there a thread telling you how to do a fault code check? And is there a way to erase any faults it may have stored as i know i accidentally tried starting it with maf sensor off. Where is the fast idle located? I shall be getting the car mapped as long as i can get this hot starting ok... Anybody have any injectors for sale? preferably slightly better than standard ones. thanks..

P

pulsarboby

the fast idle is located right under the inlet manifold (think it has a purple plug on it)
ive got standard injectors but you really need to do a fault code check before doing or buying anything else!

disconnect the battery for 10 minutes that will erase any faults stored in the kam of the ecu!

C

cybermorph

thanks mate, i shall do that tomorrow and check and report....

C

cybermorph

Right, when i try and fault code check nothing happens. i am shorting the right terminals in conenctor im sure. When i turn the ignition on, 3 seconds later the "check" light goes out of its own accord?! should it do that? i connect the terminals together wait 5 seconds but nothing happens as the light has gone out already.
Whats going on ?!?!?!?

C

cybermorph

Thanks for that link.. but still i have no joy with it. nothing happens when i bridge the connectors. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks....

Fusion Ed

is the ECU light on when you switch the ignition on? and does it go out once the engine has started? by the ecu is a plug which connects the ecu loom to the interior loom, is this connected correctly? I have had these come out in the past.

C

cybermorph

By ecu light you mean the orange "check" light right? if so then yes the light comes on when i switch the ignition on, after 3 seconds however it goes out (without me starting the car) if the ECU connector was not fitted correctly then it wouldnt start so well from cold though right?
I jacked car up so i could slide under and inspect the back of the throttle bodies for loose connectors etc. its hard to see for sure but it looks as though the cold start device (pink/purple connector) has a wire pulled out of it. i need to inspect for sure again tomorrow - i have no idea how im going to get to it if it does need attention! If this connector isnt making a good connection or no connection how would it affect the Hot starting? And why does it run so well from cold?

P

pulsarboby

you have just answered your own question!
if that wires broke it will flood the engine when hot and make for difficult starting.

it runs fine when cold as the engine needs a richer mixture than when hot, but when hot it will overfuel.

C

cybermorph

Well i managed to get the connector off the cold start device and my cable integrity is fine. I have realised that it is not over fueling when i try hot starting it because if i crank the engine over and over for 20 seconds then immediately take a spark plug out it is bone dry. Surely it should be p155ing wet if it were over fueling. My fuel pump is working very well - have pressure in the rail, so the injectors are obviously not firing when hot? Why is this?
I gave up trying to get a fault code reading... i have a "Apexi power FC" fitted may this be the reason i cant get fault code check and is this any good as it came fitted to my car when i bought it.
Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions very appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Keira

i suggest you ring up whoever you brought the car off and ask them some more details about the work required to get a boost controller to run the entire engine :lol:

C

cybermorph

Sorry to bring this thread back but im still having no joy with getting my car to start when hot. Something is stopping the injectors firing. it doesnt even try and start. i can fast idle it with throttle once i get it started up on brake cleaner for as long as i want though? Really getting fed up with it now!

P

pulsarboby

so are you getting fuel to the injectors when hot, as it seems you are now lacking fuel

P

pulsarboby

so injectors must be working or it wouldnt start with carb cleaner etc!

i know what the problem is now;-) its your ignition module breaking down when hot, i guarantee it:-D
buy one off me and if it dont work il give you your money back (im that sure of myself)

C

cybermorph

right, when my cars hot my injectors dont fire, i have just changed the whole fuel rail complete with injectors and pressure regulator with know working ones, and still no good. Something electronic is stopping my injectors firing when hot? doing my head in now!:frown: