HKS Mushroom Induction Kit Elements & Service Tips

paz

Hi All,

As the car is currently in hibernation, I'm going to treat it to a nice service when it wakes up. Got a couple of general questions for you.

I've currently got irridium plugs in the car, not sure on the grade or age. I was led to believe they guaranteed for live, but I can't see this being strictly true. Before the car went to sleep, from time to time I noticed a missfire at the top of 2nd gear under hard acceleration (when the car was warm) - question 1 is do you think a plug change would solve this or is it also worth doing the leads also?

I have the HKS green mushroom induction kit, but the actual element is looking a bit tired and old now, I was also going to change this. Now I know you can buy replacement elements, I've seen them once at JAE, but can't seem to find anywhere online to buy them - in orange would be nice :lol:

Once thats done its just the regular oil changes etc and a bit of bodywork to remove some surface rust etc and I'll be ready to go again :)

Cheers

Paz

Gray

Goto Hiteq in Wigan paz and buy a filter from them or just phone them and order one.

How do you know when you've got a misfire?

geoff pine

yes thats the one used to get my own from them hks super power flow. but now have a blitzs metalic fillter bought second hand on ebay for fourty pound with free maf. :D 8)

paz

geoff pine said:
yes thats the one used to get my own from them hks super power flow. but now have a blitzs metalic fillter bought second hand on ebay for fourty pound with free maf. :D 8)
How do you find the Blitz filter Geoff, any better?

Paz

J

justin666

Always worth a plug and lead change if they are gettin on a bit buddy :) I would say just whip the plugs out and check um over but this is you we are talking about :wink: :wink:

Mine would start to missfire slightly at higher revs when the plugs were getting on a bit or the plug well was full of water :shock: Would boost up fine, get to about 5k rpm and BANG POP BANG BANG POP. New plugs and leads soon fixed that tho :D

J.

paz

justin666 said:
Always worth a plug and lead change if they are gettin on a bit buddy :) I would say just whip the plugs out and check um over but this is you we are talking about :wink: :wink:

Mine would start to missfire slightly at higher revs when the plugs were getting on a bit or the plug well was full of water :shock: Would boost up fine, get to about 5k rpm and BANG POP BANG BANG POP. New plugs and leads soon fixed that tho :D

J.
:lol: Yeah thanks for that in the most part fella ;)

To be honest your symptoms sound just like mine, at more or less the same RPM as well. Now its been sat for a few months I'll [get someone else to help me :lol:] check for water (plug 1 or all?) and if its not that then I'll get the plugs and leads sorted at the same time as an oil change.

Paz

J

justin666

paz said:

To be honest your symptoms sound just like mine, at more or less the same RPM as well. Now its been sat for a few months I'll [get someone else to help me :lol:] check for water (plug 1 or all?) and if its not that then I'll get the plugs and leads sorted at the same time as an oil change.
Water tends to get into and f-c-u-k up plug 1 most of the time but during my last plug change i did find some water sitting around plug 2 aswell. Best to check um all if you (or someone else :wink: :lol: ) is doing it. As soon as you pull the lead out you will see if water is in there :)

J.

Mark_GTiR

To check plug chamber 2 you'll need to whip the Top mount off Paz - so while you're there you might as well do all 4 just to check.

I did it to mine cos I p!ssed water all over the engine when I was washing it one day (don't ask.... silly mistake involving me throwing a bucket of water straight at the bonnet - you can guess where it went).

The top mount is a piece of p!ss to remove so whilst it's off you might as well check the lot.

Even I did it mate so that's saying something.

Mark

geoff pine

not sure if theres any differance thought its a larger surface area . would have to go back on the rollers to be sure hks filters dont seam to come out well on filter test .the eliments £20 inc vat and this was a maf with blitzs fillter on ebay think it was £40/ £45 would have been silly not to buy it :wink:

paz

justin666 said:
paz said:

Water tends to get into and f-c-u-k up plug 1 most of the time but during my last plug change i did find some water sitting around plug 2 aswell. Best to check um all if you (or someone else :wink: :lol: ) is doing it. As soon as you pull the lead out you will see if water is in there :)

J.
Alreety, cheers J :)

Mark - If I have to take the top mount off, unlimited boost here we come :lol: I'm sure even I'll be able to do it if I take my time and do it methodically :lol: Nice work with the Bucket by the way ;)

Geoff - So you didn't really feel/notice the car breathing any better then I take it? I've read the same thing about the HKS, possibly worth a swap. I also heard a rumour that a boggo standard K&N one can be better :shock: that sound familiar?

Paz

D

deslynam

paz said:
Geoff - So you didn't really feel/notice the car breathing any better then I take it? I've read the same thing about the HKS, possibly worth a swap. I also heard a rumour that a boggo standard K&N one can be better :shock: that sound familiar?

Paz
There was a test in Japan done some time ago with various induction kits which has been hosted online (mkiv Supra forum i think), there was 1bhp difference on a dyno between all the ones they tested, but interesting results on their filtration levels (if you believe their test method gives an accurate real-world reference).
It's linked on here somewhere, can't remember where though :(

The HKS replacement foam will be fine, not worth changing unless you see a cheap deal for something decent. :)

Dooie Pop Pop

the 5k rpm popping is where your plugs are worn probably.

change everything if you' ve not already..

plugs
leads
cap and arm
coil
ignition amplifier
lambda sensor

clean all earths

if you dont see more mpg and better performance after that lot id be stunned :lol: i bet all your parts are 13years old :lol:

paz

Dooie Pop Pop said:
the 5k rpm popping is where your plugs are worn probably.

change everything if you' ve not already..

plugs
leads
cap and arm
coil
ignition amplifier
lambda sensor

clean all earths

if you dont see more mpg and better performance after that lot id be stunned :lol: i bet all your parts are 13years old :lol:
:lol: Nah they're not - already told you plugs I've got :p

Any idea on part numbers and prices for the above please pal?

Paz

Dooie Pop Pop

call Mike at MJP eastern auto' s (google)

mail order based he uses the fast system, has owned a couple of R' s, works from home, is nearly always in and dont moan when i ring him at 8:30pm :wink:

he runs the parts department of the Z club :)

anyone seen his development car the 350z? :shock: stunning in a subtle kinda way 8)