Hit Rev Limitter - Car now missing, Running on 3.

Fazz

Hi guys,

PROBLEM SOLVED

Posting this up as did a search and had no joy, have now learned and putting up for anyone for future.

Basically, I hit the rev limiter twice, after which car kinda stuttered on idle and cut out.
Restarted fine but ran rough and cut out.

Symptoms:
- Hit Rev Limitter
- Car doesn't idle properly
- Runs on 3 cylinders
- misses and struggles a lot when driving, almost like in safety mode.
- floods one plug or more

Diagnosis:

- remote possibility of having droppping a valve, but would hear noise and rattles
- Also possibly knocked Rocker off top of shims and thus not opening Exhaust/inlet cam.

Method:

- Remove Rocker cover and inspect Rockers to see if still in place.

Solution:

Done this and the pics show the results.
Rocker had moved to side slightly and knocked off the shims.
One of the shims can actually be seen in the right hand side by inlet cam.
Rocker sits on shims which sit on valve springs.

a relatively easy fix by removing the cam and replalcing shims if needed and re-fitting Rocker.

Apparently this is a common problem on SR20's when running off the limitter and happens a few drifter boys a fair bit..

Now out for pints to celebrate a cheap fix after what was thought to be damage!

FYI - it is possible to drive in this state. I ran 300 miles home from Santa Pod luckily.

See pics for more info.
Moral and Cheap Lesson - stay away formt he limitter... no matter how good it sounds!!! :doh: :oops: :lol:

Rocker slipped off shims/vavle springs

More general view:

Rocker and shim circled, relief!!

Fazz

I should add I disconnected injector relating to plug that was missing.
This is too prevent further flooding etc.

J

jpward

I've heard and seen this happen in a few cars now and hence why i will be installing a rocker stopper as part of the rebuild Fazz maybe you should get a set!

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
there all bins mine sounds like a tank dp manifold not worth a **** big cracked welds as soon as it gets 1.5 bar boost :doh: :doh: :doh:

Dooie Pop Pop

jpward said:
I've heard and seen this happen in a few cars now and hence why i will be installing a rocker stopper as part of the rebuild Fazz maybe you should get a set!
i can here Kieron cracking his knuckles!!! wait for it...ten....nine....eight....seven:lol:

if he fails to add his tuppence worth iv got a set you can have for £30;-)

seriously though there was something about those kits that made them pointless on an R. i cant remember i am a mong after all:lol:

Last edited:

Fazz

Rocker stoppers eh...

Tell me more.... for I am in the dark on said items..... :oops: Who makes them?

Do these give permission to stay on the limitter is that what you're trying to get me to do...!!! :shock: :lol:

J

jpward

Fazz said:
Rocker stoppers eh...

Tell me more.... for I am in the dark on said items..... :oops: Who makes them?

Do these give permission to stay on the limitter is that what you're trying to get me to do...!!! :shock: :lol:
Greedy hks and someone else claim to make them but i bet their made in Japan by one firm and then re-branded Fazz

as you can see the dark grey strip helps to prevent the rocker floating off the shim and guide ;-)

Worth that £30!! mine were $60+P&P

Fazz

pretty sure its set at 7.5k on the hand commander Bud. Should possibly turn that down 500rpm maybe too....

P

pulsarboby

ive just bought a set of greddy stoppers for my rebuild, cheap at half the price.

im doing kengtir's car later next week, he lent it to his son after a recent rebuild and its thrown around 8 rockers, bent the timing chain and one of the cam sprockets and mullered his cams, which in turn has totally jammed the engine.
and on top of that it appears that some of the bits are missing which may have ended up down an oilway, so it looks like im gonna have to remove engine, will be quicker in the longrun anyway as chain etc all need replacing.

so make sure you locate all the missing parts ian;-)

P

pulsarboby

he reckons the throttle got jammed on max and it bounced off the limiter but who knows...........:? if you know what i mean

gtirx2

I had the same but only throw 5,at first i thought the only thing that could of done it was if i went into second from fouth but at the time it did not feel like it.On further inspection i think the timing chain had streched and that caused it, but who knows it could of streched when it happend as it left a big mess and chucks out of my cams lol.
All good now tho new head, chain etc and rocker stoppers and i hope it won't happen again.
Just to add if you want to keep that oil splash guard or what ever it is[the metal cover bit over the number 1 exhaust cam lobe]you have to file a bit of metal of it to get the greedy rocker stoppers to fit right.
By the looks of it fazz is well lucky exspecialy as he has found the shims aswell.

gtirx2

Heres another pic of rocker stoppers,only difference we use solid lifters.

[FONT=Verdana,]
For the SR engine, situations where the engine keeps rotating over 7000rpm while during circuit run or drag racing, or over-rev from miss shifting will sometimes result the tappet side of the rocker arm fulcrum to jump, causing the rocker arm to come off. Rocker arm stopper is the part that holds the lash adjuster side of rocker arm with fixed clearance, controling the deflection of the rocker arm when jumping occurrs, thus protecting the engine from damage.
[/FONT]

J

jpward

gtirx2 said:
I had the same but only throw 5,at first i thought the only thing that could of done it was if i went into second from fouth but at the time it did not feel like it.On further inspection i think the timing chain had streched and that caused it, but who knows it could of streched when it happend as it left a big mess and chucks out of my cams lol.
All good now tho new head, chain etc and rocker stoppers and i hope it won't happen again.
Just to add if you want to keep that oil splash guard or what ever it is[the metal cover bit over the number 1 exhaust cam lobe]you have to file a bit of metal of it to get the greedy rocker stoppers to fit right.
By the looks of it fazz is well lucky exspecialy as he has found the shims aswell.
I have a Diagram of this in the Greedy box i will post up a pic ;-)

gtirx2

jpward said:
I have a Diagram of this in the Greedy box i will post up a pic ;-)
The diagram in the greedy box is of a s14 rocker cover which don't clear them.Are rocker cover is alright and fits fine,the bit i am on about is the tin metal bit you bolt on when you bolt the cam caps down,the bit over/ between number 1-2 cylinder exhaust cam lobes.

J

jpward

gtirx2 said:
The diagram in the greedy box is of a s14 rocker cover which don't clear them.Are rocker cover is alright and fits fine,the bit i am on about is the tin metal bit you bolt on when you bolt the cam caps down,the bit over/ between number 1-2 cylinder exhaust cam lobes.
Woops :oops: did'nt look at it yet as not fitting for a few days going to have a peak tomorrow

Look like this bit?

antgtir

How do guys, these rocker arm stoppers, has anyone got a link to a good site that sells them specifically for the R?

Cheers,

Ant.