high water temp???

Spikey

After completing the rebuild i started the car up to get it up to temperature and the Needle goes
all the way up and the Fan does not kick in till the end of gauge, but the Engine does not feel as hot. Not that much pressure on the pipes as it should if it was that hot.
Im wondering would the gauge or the sender be faulty? Or any other Ideas?

danr

try replacing the thermocouple for the gauges (rather than the ECU), that's relatively cheap. It's something he's seen before on a car that had been standing a long time.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think what he's saying is; try replacing the thermocouple for the gauges (rather than the ECU), that's relatively cheap. It's something he's seen before on a car that had been standing a long time.
The suggestion being there's nothing wrong other than the clocks getting the wrong signal so displaying the wrong temperature.

Spikey

yeah well im getting hot air through the heaters. do you just undo the little nipple (never open when hot)

skiddusmarkus

When I've doen it I've just had the engine running and keep squeezing the pipes and topping up.Never had any problems doing it that way.

there are two sensors on rear water pipe, fiddle around as they are just push-on connectors (on one of them anyway) and it may have come loose. Mine did that and it was just a case of re-connecting it. Use your oil temp gauge for now to double check, as that will soon tell you if the engine is in fact getting too hot.....

Spikey

You dont by any chance have white dials do you
No std Black Dials.
When do the Fans usually Kick in?? Mine do now when they hit the line just before end of Gauge, but never comes back to the Middle.

Also found a drip from the hose that fit to the heaters, the bottom one was loosing water. So replaced the clip.

geoff pine

No std Black Dials.
When do the Fans usually Kick in?? Mine do now when they hit the line just before end of Gauge, but never comes back to the Middle.

Also found a drip from the hose that fit to the heaters, the bottom one was loosing water. So replaced the clip.
I found that if you start it up and let it idle for 15 /20 minutes they should kick in ! temps around 93 on my spa temp gauge

Spikey

if the fans kick in just before boiling point then thats Quiet high?
Ill have to drive it Properly to see.

red reading

pressurised water will boil at a far higher point, normally its around 120-130+ degrees on sealed pressurised cooling systems.

a gtir's normal running temp is around 95 degrees as geoff has said.

Spikey

so would that be end of gauge? fans kick in just after the last line. so gauge sits end of gauge that cant be right.

Spikey

im not sure if it matter but when i fitted the speedo i noticed that a green/silver wire had been soldered in to bridge two plugs. i cut it out as i thought its better the genuine way

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have a typical temp gauge. It goes up to temp and then never moves, even when it goes from 81 to 94, so it's as much use as a chocolate teapot.